|Bruce Charles Bennett|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|21st Judicial District, Louisiana|
|Undergraduate:||Louisiana State University, 1973|
|Law School:||Louisiana State University, 1975|
|Military service:||Air Force|
|Candidate for:||21st District Court|
|Election information 2014:|
Bruce Charles Bennett is the Division B judge of the 21st Judicial District in Louisiana. He was first elected to this position on March 8, 1988, and his current term expires on December 31, 2014. He is running for re-election to the 21st Judicial District in 2014.
- See also: Louisiana judicial elections, 2014
| Bennett is running for re-election to the 19th Judicial District.
As an unopposed candidate, he will be automatically elected without appearing on the ballot.
Bennet was elected to the district court in 1988 and serves as the drug court judge for Livingston Parish. He has also taught at the University of Maryland, Los Angeles Community College and Southeastern Louisiana University.
Bennett served in the U.S. Air Force from 1975 to 1979 and was part of the Judge Advocate General Corps.
Awards and associations
- Meritorious Service Award
- Bar, U.S. Supreme Court
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Member, Louisiana State Bar Association
Bennett describes his judicial philosophy as "strict constructionist," stating, "Truth is more important than advocacy."
Additionally, he describes himself as anti-abortion; pro 2nd Amendment, traditional marriage and traditional families; and in support of fair and full compensating awards for personal injury.
- Combustion, Inc. - class action certification
- Administration of Livingston Parish Train Derailment - class action
- State v. Bordelon - last capital case in Louisiana in which death penalty was actually imposed
- Tangipahoa Parish Clerk of Court, "Judges"
- Louisiana Secretary of State, "Official Election Results 3/8/1988"
- Louisiana Secretary of State, "Elected Officials" (Scroll down to "District Judge…")
- Louisiana Secretary of State, "November 4, 2014 General Election Candidates," accessed August 25, 2014
- Information submitted on Judgepedia's biographical submission form on 12/22/2012