Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Texas Fifth District Court of Appeals|
|Appointed by:||Gov. George Bush|
|Past post:||District 256 Court Judge|
|Home State:||Houston, Texas|
|Law School:||Howard University School of Law|
|Candidate for:||5th District Court of Appeals|
|Election information 2012:|
|Primary date:||May 29, 2012|
|Election date:||November 6, 2012|
Carolyn Wright is the chief justice of the Texas Fifth District Court of Appeals. She was appointed to the court by Governor Bush in 1995 and was retained by voters on November 5, 1996.  She was re-elected on November 6, 2012 for a term that expires on December 31, 2018.
Wright was appointed as Chief Justice of the court by Republican Governor Rick Perry effective October 31, 2009. She is the first black judge to serve as chief of any of the intermediate appellate courts in Texas. 
Justice Wright graduated from the paralegal program at Strayer College. After this, she worked for Citizens Crusade Against Poverty, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and the Office of Youth Advocacy before receiving her J.D. degree from Howard University School of Law in 1978. 
After law school, Justice Wright began her legal career as a private practice lawyer in Dallas. Five years later, she was appointed as Master in Family District Court. She was then elected to the 256th District Court in 1986, where she served until her appointment to the Court of Appeals in 1995.
- See also: Texas judicial elections, 2012
- Official website of the 5th District Court of Appeals
- Carolyn Wright for Chief Justice campaign site
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Dallas Bar Association: Justice Wright
- ↑ Timeline of Women in Texas History
- ↑ Texas election results see 1996 General Election results
- ↑ Texas Secretary of State: Judges' terms
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ Dallas Morning News "Successor will become first black chief justice", October 25, 2009
- ↑ Biography from CarolynWright.com
- ↑ Texas Republican Party, 2012 Candidate Filing
- ↑ Texas Secretary of State: 2012 General Election Summary Select "2012 General Election"