Charles C. Merrell
|Charles C. Merrell|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|New York Supreme Court 5th Judicial District|
|Active:||01/01/2012 - 12/31/2025|
|Past position:||Lewis County Court Judge, Acting Supreme Court Justice, Supervising Judge|
|Past term:||2003, 2006, 2007 - 2011|
|Undergraduate:||St. Lawrence University|
|Law School:||Syracuse University School of Law|
|Candidate for:||Supreme Court 5th Judicial District|
|Election information 2011:|
|Election date:||November 8, 2011|
- Main page: New York judicial elections, 2011
Merrell ran for election to the Supreme Court on November 8th. According to unofficial election results from Nov. 9, he won one of the four contested seats with 13% of the vote. He was endorsed by the Democratic and Conservative parties for the seat traditionally held by a Lewis County Supreme Court resident.
Candidates sought to replace retired/retiring judges Michael E. Daley (Herkimer County), Hugh A. Gilbert (Jefferson County), Joseph D. McGuire (Lewis County) and Samuel D. Hester (Oneida County). An unwritten practice called "home rule" states that a judge from each county should serve on the district's Supreme Court.
Merrell began his career in 1985 as an associate of the law firm of Carragher, Fox and Lampert, P.C. He then worked as a partner of Merrell and Merrell from 1989 to 2003. He also served as an acting justice of the Lowville Village Court and a town justice of the Lowville Town Court from 1999 to 2003. He was then elected to the County Court in 2003. The following year, he became a judge of the Lewis County Criminal and Family Treatment Courts. He began serving as an acting justice of the Lewis County Supreme Court in 2006. He was then appointed supervising judge of the 5th Judicial District Justice Courts in 2007. In 2011, he was elected a justice of the Supreme Court.
- Charles C. Merrell Biography
- Judge Charles Merrell's campaign website
- Syracuse.com, "McClusky, Gall, Merrell and MacRae take state Supreme Court seats", November 8, 2011
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Associated Press: Unofficial 2011 New York Election Results: Supreme Court
- ↑ Judicial selection in New York
- ↑ Watertown Daily Times.com, "Independence Party slate of Supreme Court judge candidates mirrors Republican picks", September 27, 2011
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Charles C. Merrell biography from the NY State Unified Court System
- ↑ New York 5th Judicial District: Biography of Hon. Charles C. Merrell Multi-Bench Judge