Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Supreme Court of Virginia|
|Active:||2011 - 2023|
|Preceded by:||Leroy Hassell|
|Past post:||Virginia Court of Appeals|
|Past term:||2008 - 2011|
|Bachelors:||University of Virginia, 1979|
|Law School:||University of Virginia School of Law, 1982|
Cleo Elaine Powell is a justice on the Virginia Supreme Court. She was elected by the Virginia Legislature in July 2011. Her term expires in 2023. Powell is the first black female to serve on the high court. 
Powell began her legal career in private practice, then from 1986 to 1989, served as assistant attorney general for the state. She left the public sector to work as corporate counsel and director of Employee Services for Virginia Power. In 1993, joined the 12th Judicial Circuit, serving as a general district and circuit judge in Chesterfield County. Eight years later she was elected to the Virginia Court of Appeals in 2008. In 2011, the Virginia Legislature elected her to the Virginia Supreme Court.   
On each court Powell has served, she has been the first African-American female to do so. 
Awards and associations
- Outstanding Women of Virginia, Ebony Magazine
- Influential Women of Virginia, Lawyer's Weekly 
- Official web page of the Virginia Court of Appeals
- Dominion, 2011 Honoree: Cleo E. Powell, J.D.
- Times Dispatch "Powell sworn in as justice on Virginia Supreme Court," October 22, 2011
- ↑ The Washington Post, "House, Senate elevate two appellate judges to Supreme Court; one is first black female justice," July 29, 2011
- ↑ Times Dispatch "Powell sworn in as justice on Virginia Supreme Court," October 22, 2011
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "Powell invested on Court of Appeals", Alan Cooper, The VLW Blog, Nov. 17, 2008
- ↑ Washington Post "Northern Virginia gets three new judges" 04/28/2011
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Dominion, 2011 Honoree: Cleo E. Powell, J.D.
|Former||Leroy Hassell • Barbara Keenan • Lawrence Koontz • Steven Agee • Richard H. Poff •|