Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio|
|Appointed by:||Ronald Reagan|
|Preceded by:||Leroy Contie|
|Succeeded by:||Dan Polster|
|Undergraduate:||College of Wooster, 1951|
|Law School:||University of Michigan Law School, 1954|
|Military service:||U.S. Army, 1955-1957|
David Dudley Dowd, Jr. was an Article III federal judge for the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio. He joined the court in 1982 after being nominated by President Ronald Reagan. Dowd took senior status in June 1996 and retired from the court July 11, 2014.
Early life and education
A native of Cleveland, Dowd graduated from Wooster College with his bachelor's degree in 1951 and graduated from the University of Michigan Law School in 1954.
- 1996-2014: Senior judge, United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- 1982-1996: Judge, United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- 1982-1982: Attorney, private practice
- 1980-1981: Associate justice, Ohio Supreme Court
- 1975-1980: Judge, Ohio Fifth District Court of Appeals
- 1957-1975: Attorney, private practice
- 1967-1975: Lead prosecuting attorney, Stark County Prosecutor's Office
- 1961-1967: Assistant prosecuting attorney, Stark County Prosecutor's Office
- 1960: Councilman, Massillon, Ohio
- 1955-1957: U.S. Army
- 1954-1955: Attorney, private practice
Northern District of Ohio
On the recommendation of Ohio Congressman Delbert Latta, Dowd was nominated by President Ronald Reagan on August 24, 1982, to a seat vacated by Judge Leroy John Contie, Jr as Contie assumed senior status. Dowd was confirmed by the U.S. Senate on September 22, 1982, and received commission on September 23, 1982. Dowd later assumed senior status on June 30, 1996, and retired from the court on July 11, 2014.
|Federal judicial offices|
|Northern District of Ohio
|Magistrate judges||Vernelis Armstrong • William Baughman • George Limbert • Kenneth McHargh • Nancy Vecchiarelli • Greg White • James Knepp • Kathleen B. Burke •|
|Former Article III judges||
Ann Aldrich • Sam Bell • David Dowd • Kathleen M. O'Malley • Alice Batchelder • Robert Krupansky • Leroy Contie • Hiram V. Willson • Charles Taylor Sherman • Martin Welker • Augustus Ricks • Francis Joseph Wing • Robert Walker Tayler • William Louis Day • John Milton Killits • John Hessin Clarke • David Westenhaver • Paul Jones • George Philip Hahn • Frank Kloeb • George White • Frank Battisti • James Connell • Emerich Freed • Ben Green • Girard Kalbfleisch • Alvin Krenzler • Thomas Lambros • John Manos • Paul Matia • Charles McNamee • Richard McQuade • William K. Thomas • Nicholas Walinski • Samuel West • Robert Wilkin • Don Young • Paul Weick •
|Former Chief judges|