Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Iowa Supreme Court|
|Appointed by:||Gov. Tom Vilsack|
|Past post:||Judge, Iowa Court of Appeals|
|Past post 2:||Partner, Williams, Hart, Lavorto & Kirtley|
|Past term 2:||1976-2003|
|Undergraduate:||University of Illinois at Chicago, 1973|
|Law School:||Drake University Law School, 1976|
|Candidate for:||Supreme Court|
|Election information 2012:|
|Election date:||November 6, 2012|
|Retention vote %:||54.5%|
Awards and associations
- 1999:, Meritorious Achievement Award, Iowa Trial Lawyers Association
- Former member, Board of Governors, Iowa State Bar Association
- Past president, Iowa Trial Lawyers Association
- Former senior counsel, American College of Barristers
- Master emeritus, C. Edwin Moore American Inn of Court
- Advocate, American Board of Trial Advocates
- See also: Iowa judicial elections, 2012
In October 2012, political science professors Adam Bonica and Michael Woodruff of Stanford University attempted to determine the partisan ideology of state supreme court justices in their paper, State Supreme Court Ideology and 'New Style' Judicial Campaigns. A score above 0 indicated a more conservative leaning ideology while scores below 0 are more liberal. Wiggins received a Campaign finance score (CFscore) of -0.96, indicating a liberal ideological leaning. This is more liberal than the average CF score of 0.21 that justices received in Iowa. The study is based on data from campaign contributions by judges themselves, the partisan leaning of contributors to the judges or, in the absence of elections, the ideology of the appointing body (governor or legislature). This study is not a definitive label of a justice, but an academic gauge of various factors.
- Courts in Iowa
- Iowa Supreme Court
- News: Same-sex marriage likely to be an issue in Judge Wiggins's 2012 retention election, July 25, 2011
- Iowa Courts, "Justice David Wiggins Biography"
- The American Prospect, "Poll Spells Trouble for Iowa Judge," September 4, 2012
- The Des Moines Register, "Branstad on call for justice’s ouster: ‘Every citizen has the right to express their opinion’," August 6, 2012
- The Newspaper, "Iowa Supreme Court Saves Photo Ticketing Program," August 29, 2008
- Iowa Courts, "Justice David Wiggins Biography," accessed August 13, 20114
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Unofficial 2012 General Election Results - Supreme Court"
- Project Vote Smart, "Justice David S. Wiggins (IA)"
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Judges Standing for Retention 2012"
- Stanford University, "State Supreme Court Ideology and 'New Style' Judicial Campaigns," October 31, 2012
|Former||Marsha Ternus • Jerry L. Larson • Michael Streit • David Baker •|