|July 13, 1947|
|Former Vermont Supreme Court Justice|
| Assumed office|
| Term ended|
|Chair, Vermont Human Rights Commission|
| Dates of service|
Johnson was educated at Wayne State University (B.A.1969), the University of Connecticut School of Law (J.D. with honors 1974), and the University of Virginia School of Law (LL.M 1995).
Justice Johnson was an attorney with New Haven Legal Assistance Association, Inc. from 1974 to 1978, a Legal Writing Instructor at Vermont Law School from 1978 to 1979, a Vermont Assistant Attorney General, serving as Chief, Civil Rights Division and then Chief, Public Protection Division from 1980-1988. She was in private practice, working in the areas of employment law and public utilities from 1988 to 1990.
Awards and associations
- Chair of the Vermont Human Rights Commission, 1988 to 1990
- Member of the American Law Institute, 1997
- Member of the American Bar Association
- Chair of the Appellate Judges Conference
- Member of the Commission on IOLTA
- Member of the American Bar Foundation
Justice Johnson has been active in appellate judicial education nationally since the late 1990’s. Recently, she has lectured on criminal procedure, employment law and property in law schools in Trento and Udine, Italy. As a member of the Vermont Supreme Court, she has chaired the Gender-Bias Study Implementation Committee and the Equal Access to Justice Committee. She is a member of the Access to Justice Coalition, a statewide planning agency for the delivery of legal services to the poor, and a board member of the Vermont Bar Foundation.
- Vermont Courts, Honorable Denise Johnson, Associate Justice
- Project Vote Smart, Associate Justice Denise Johnson (VT)
- BurlingtonFreePress.com, "Prison sentences require flexibility, Vermont Supreme Court rules," July 19, 2010
- The Republic, "Vermont Supreme Court upholds requirement that state troopers retire at 55," July 2, 2010
- Vermont Woman, "In Chambers with Vermont's Supreme Court Justice Denise Johnson & Marilyn Skoglund"
|Former||Denise Johnson • Brian Burgess • Harrie Brigham Chase • Franklin Billings • James Holden • Geoffrey Crawford •|