Derek Guy Johnson
|Derek Guy Johnson|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Superior Court of Orange County, California|
|Appointed by:||Gov. Gray Davis|
|Preceded by:||Cecil Hicks|
|Past post:||Attorney, Private practice|
|Past post 2:||Attorney, Thrifty Corp.|
|Past term 2:||1987-1989|
|Undergraduate:||Santa Clara University|
|Law School:||University of San Diego|
|Candidate for:||Orange County Superior Court|
|Election information 2014:|
Derek Guy Johnson is a judge for the Superior Court of Orange County in California. He was appointed by former governor Gray Davis in March 2000 to succeed Cecil Hicks. Johnson was most recently re-elected in 2008 and his current term will expire in January 2015. He is running for re-election to the Superior Court of Orange County in 2014.
- See also: California judicial elections, 2014
| Johnson is running for re-election to the Orange County Superior Court.
Primary: He will face Helen Hayden in the primary on June 3, 2014.
- 2000-2015: Judge, Superior Court of Orange County
- 1989-2000: Attorney, Private practice
- 1987-1989: Attorney, Thrifty Corp.
- 1979-1987: Deputy district attorney, Orange County District Attorney's Office
In the news
Admonishment for rape sentence
In December 2012, Johnson was admonished by the California Commission on Judicial Performance for violating his impartiality during a rape sentencing in 2008. After being convicted by a jury of seven counts, Judge Johnson determined that the criminal receive only six years in prison, instead of the sixteen sought by the prosecutor. When that decision was questioned by the prosecutor, Judge Johnson said,
This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
|“||If someone doesn't want to have sexual intercourse, the body shuts down. The body will not permit that to happen unless a lot of damage is inflicted, and we heard nothing about that in this case.||”|
To read the full transcript of the conversation between attorney and judge, see California Commission on Judicial Performance, Public Admonishment of Derek G. Johnson: December 13, 2012 pages 3-5.
- California Courts, "Trial Courts Roster," accessed April 9, 2014
- California Commission on Judicial Performance, Public Admonishment of Derek G. Johnson: December 13, 2012
- Los Angeles Times, "Two Judges Named to Superior Court," March 8, 2000
- Orange County Registrar of Voters, "Candidate Filing Log, 2014 Primary," accessed March 25, 2014
- Martindale.com, Judge Profile: Derek G. Johnson