Derek Guy Johnson
|Derek Guy Johnson|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Superior Court of Orange County, California|
|Appointed by:||Gov. Gray Davis|
|Preceded by:||Cecil Hicks|
|Past post:||Attorney in private practice|
|Past post 2:||Attorney, Thrifty Corporation|
|Past term 2:||1987-1989|
|Undergraduate:||Santa Clara University|
|Law School:||University of San Diego|
|Candidate for:||Orange County Superior Court|
|Election information 2014:|
Derek Guy Johnson is a judge for the Superior Court of Orange County in California. He competed in the June 3, 2014 primary election and was re-elected to a term that begins January 5, 2015 and expires on January 4, 2021.
- See also: California judicial elections, 2014
| Johnson ran for re-election to the Orange County Superior Court.
Primary: He was elected in the primary on June 3, 2014, receiving 61.3% of the vote. He competed against Helen Hayden.
- 2000-2015: Judge, Superior Court of Orange County
- 1989-2000: Attorney in private practice
- 1987-1989: Attorney, Thrifty Corporation
- 1979-1987: Deputy district attorney, Orange County District Attorney's Office
In the news
Admonishment for rape sentence
In December 2012, Johnson was admonished by the California Commission on Judicial Performance for violating his impartiality during a rape sentencing in 2008. After being convicted by a jury of seven counts, Judge Johnson determined that the criminal receive only six years in prison, instead of the sixteen sought by the prosecutor. When that decision was questioned by the prosecutor, Judge Johnson said,
|“||If someone doesn't want to have sexual intercourse, the body shuts down. The body will not permit that to happen unless a lot of damage is inflicted, and we heard nothing about that in this case.||”|
Read the full transcript of the conversation between attorney and judge [here http://cjp.ca.gov/res/docs/public_admon/Johnson_DO_Pub_Adm_12-13-2012.pdf].
- Orange County Registrar of Voters, "Candidate Filing Log, 2014 Primary," accessed March 25, 2014
- Orange County Registrar of Voters, "Statewide Direct Primary Election, Unofficial Election Night Results," June 3, 2014
- California Courts, "Trial Courts Roster," accessed April 9, 2014
- State of California, Before the Commission on Judicial Performance, "Decision and Order Imposing Public Admonishment: Derek G. Johnson," December 13, 2012
- Los Angeles Times, "Two Judges Named to Superior Court," March 8, 2000
- www.martindale.com, "Judge Profile: Derek G. Johnson," accessed June 4, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.