Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States District Court for the Central District of California|
|Appointed by:||Barack Obama|
|Active:||1/4/2010 - Present|
|Preceded by:||George Schiavelli|
|Undergraduate:||U. of California at Los Angeles, B.A., 1981|
|Law School:||U. of California at Los Angeles School of Law, J.D., 1984|
Dolly Maizie Gee is a federal judge for the United States District Court for the Central District of California. She was nominated to the court by President Obama.
Early life and education
Judge Gee received her B.A. degree from the University of California-Los Angeles in 1981 and her J.D. degree from the UCLA School of Law in 1984. After law school, she clerked for District Judge Milton Schwartz of the Eastern District of California until 1986.
Gee worked as a managing partner of the Los Angeles law firm Schwartz, Steinsapir, Dohrmann & Sommers LLP. Her specialty was labor and employment law. She was appointed to the Federal Service Impasses Panel (FSIP) in 1994, where she served a 5-year term. She also served multiple years as a investigating election protests for the International Brotherhood of Teamsters Delegate and Officer Elections. Since 2000, she has served as an arbitrator for the Kaiser Permanente Independent Arbitration System. She argued cases in the Central District Court as a lawyer. She is a former president of the Southern California Chinese Lawyers Association, former trustee of the Los Angeles County Bar Association, and a founder of the Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Los Angeles County.
Central District of California
|Court:||Central District of California|
|Progress:||Confirmed 140 days after nomination.|
|Nominated:||August 6, 2009|
|ABA Rating:||Unanimously Qualified|
|Hearing:||September 23, 2009|
|Reported:||October, 15, 2009|
|Confirmed:||December 24, 2009|
|Vote: Voice vote|
Judge Gee was nominated by President Barack Obama on August 7, 2009 to the United States District Court for the Central District of California to fill the seat vacated by George Schiavelli. The Senate Judiciary Committee unanimously approved her nomination on October 15, 2009. She was confirmed by the full Senate on December 24, 2009.
Judiciary Committee hearing
Gee had a hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee regarding her nomination to the Central District of California on September 23, 2009, and her nomination was confirmed by the full Senate on December 24, 2009.
- Judge Gee's Biography from the Federal Judicial Center.
- Biography of Dolly M. Gee from Schwartz, Steinsapir, Dohrmann & Sommers LLP
- Judge Gee Biography-Federal Judicial Center
- "NAPABA and AAJC Applaud the Nominations of Dolly M. Gee and Edward M. Chen to the Federal Judiciary ," The Asian American Justice Center, Aug. 7, 2009
- White House Press Release "President Obama Nominates Edward Milton Chen, Dolly Gee and Richard Seeborg to Serve on the District Court Bench," August 7, 2009
- Barbara Boxer Press Release "Senate Judiciary Committee Approves Los Angeles Attorney Dolly Gee for U.S. District Court," October 15, 2009
- Metropolitan News-Enterprise "Senate Committee Approves Nominees for Federal Courts," October 16, 2009
- Judicial Nomination Materials
|Federal judicial offices|
|Central District of California
|Vacancy Count by Congress|
|Vacancy Count by Year||Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2009 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2010 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2011 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2012|