Douglas W. McQuaid
|Douglas W. McQuaid|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Washington State Supreme Court|
|Title:||Former judicial candidate|
|Past position:||Sole practitioner|
|Bachelors:||University of Washington, 1967|
|Law School:||Willamette University College of Law, 1972|
|Military service:||U.S. Army|
|Candidate for:||Washington Supreme Court|
|Election information 2012:|
|Primary date:||August 7, 2012|
Douglas W. McQuaid was a candidate for justice on the Washington Supreme Court in 2012.
McQuaid ran for position 2 justice on the Washington Supreme Court. He was defeated in the primary election, receiving 24.14% of the vote. Incumbent Justice Susan Owens won re-election on August 7, 2012. 
- See also: Washington judicial elections, 2012
- Rated as Unqualified by the Justice for Washington Foundation 
- Unrated by the King County Bar Association. 
McQuaid graduated from the University of Washington in 1967 with a B.A. in Business Administration - Finance. He began law school at Willamette University College of Law, but left to serve in the U.S. military as a combat infantry soldier in the Vietnam War from 1969 to 1970. McQuaid was awarded numerous combat medals upon leaving the service. He returned to law school at Willamette University College of Law and earned his J.D. in 1972.
McQuaid has worked in private practice since 1974. He began his law career as an associate at Aiken, St. Lois & Siljeg, P.S., later becoming a partner. He has had his own practice in West Seattle since 1994.
McQuaid summarized his judicial philosophy for the website Voting for Judges.org:
- "I am not an advocate for any individual cause or person. I will be impartial, unbiased, independent to serve all the people of this state equally with dignity and respect. Money, politics and justice don't mix. I will not solicit donations or endorsements from any organization with a special interest as it could appear to corrupt the independence and non-partisanship of the office. I will be rigorously honest in deciding all cases coming before me and apply the Constitution and laws strictly as written to the facts of each case."
- ↑ Washington Secretary of State, 2012 Primary Results - Judicial
- ↑ Washington Secretary of State, 2012 Candidates who have filed
- ↑ Justice for Washington Foundation, Rating of Judicial Candidates
- ↑ King County Bar Association, 2012 Judicial Election Ratings
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Voting for Judges.org, Douglas McQuaid biography