Edward J. Davila
|Edward J. Davila|
|Current Court Information:|
|United States District Court for the Northern District of California|
|Appointed by:||Barack Obama|
|Active:||03/03/2011 - Present|
|Preceded by:||Marilyn Patel|
|Past post:||Superior Court of Santa Clara County|
|Hometown:||Palo Alto, CA|
|Undergraduate:||California State U., San Diego, 1976|
|Law School:||University of California Law, 1979|
- 2001-2011: Judge, Superior Court of Santa Clara County, California
- 1988-2001: Attorney in private practice, law firm of Davila & Polverino
- 1981-1988: Deputy public defender, Santa Clara County Public Defender's Office
Northern District of California
|Candidate:||Edward J. Davila|
|Court:||Northern District of California|
|Progress:||Confirmed 270 days after nomination.|
|Nominated:||May 20, 2010|
|ABA Rating:||Substantial Majority Qualified, Minority Not Qualified|
|Hearing:||September 29, 2010|
|Hearing Transcript:||Hearing Transcript|
|Reported:||February 3, 2011 (December 1, 2010)|
|Confirmed:||February 14, 2011|
On May 20, 2010, Davila was nominated by President Barack Obama to serve as a District Judge for the United States District Court for the Northern District of California. He was nominated to fill the seat vacated by Marilyn Patel. Davila was recommended to the President by Senator Barbara Boxer.
The American Bar Association gave Davila a rating of "Qualified" from the substantial majority, and "Not Qualified" from the minority. Davila had a hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee on September 29, 2010, and you can find his Hearing Transcript here. He was moved out of committee on a voice vote on December 1, 2010, and awaited confirmation by the full Senate.
Davila's nomination was returned to the President at the end of the 111th Congress. President Obama resubmitted the nomination on January 5, 2011. Davila was then confirmed by a voice vote of the Senate on February 14, 2011.
Anna Ayala case
In 2006, Davila imposed the maximum sentence of nine years on Anna Ayala, who placed a human finger in a bowl of Wendy's chili in an attempt to extort money from the company.
- Federal Judicial Center, "Biography of Edward John Davila"
- White House Office of Press Secretary, "President Obama Names Three to United States District Court," May 20, 2010
- White House Office of the Press Secretary, "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate," May 20, 2010
- United States Committee on the Judiciary, "Judicial Nomination Materials," accessed July 4, 2014
- United States Committee on the Judiciary, "Results of Executive Business Meeting," December 1, 2010
- United States Department of Justice, "112th Congress Judicial Confirmations," accessed July 4, 2014
- People v. Ayala, "66 Cal.Rptr.3d 228," 2007
|Federal judicial offices|
|Northern District of California
|Vacancy Count by Congress|
|Vacancy Count by Year||Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2009 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2010 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2011 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2012|