Elaine Kaplan is a federal judge for the United States Court of Federal Claims. On March 19, 2013, President Barack Obama nominated Kaplan to the United States Court of Federal Claims to fill the vacancy left by Christine Odell Cook Miller. Kaplan was confirmed to a fifteen-year term by the Senate on September 19, 2013.
Early life and education
Kaplan attended the State University of New York at Binghamton earning her B.A. in 1976. She went on to earn her J.D., graduating cum laude, in 1979 from Georgetown University Law Center.
- 2009-2013: General Counsel, United States Office of Personnel Management
- 2004-2009: Senior Deputy General Counsel, National Treasury Employees Union
- 2003-2004: Counsel, Bernabei and Katz
- 1998-2003: Head, United States Office of Special Counsel
- 1984-1998: National Treasury Employees Union
- 1979-1984: Staff Attorney, Solicitor’s Office of the United States Department of Labor
| ||Candidate:||Elaine Kaplan|
| ||Court:||Federal Claims|
| ||Progress:||Confirmed 184 days after nomination.|
|Nominated:||March 19, 2013|
|Hearing:||May 8, 2013|
|Reported:||June 6, 2013 |
|Confirmed:||September 19, 2013|
| ||Vote: |
On March 19, 2013, President President Obama nominated Kaplan to a post on the United States Court of Federal Claims, filling the spot vacated by Judge Christine Odell Cook Miller. Obama commented on the nomination, stating,"These nominees have dedicated their careers to serving the public good. And in so doing, they have displayed an unyielding commitment to justice and integrity. I am confident that they will serve the American people well from the Court of Federal Claims, and I am honored to nominate them today."
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 White House.gov, "President Obama Nominates Two to Serve on the U.S. Court of Federal Claims," March 19, 2013
- ↑ Senate.gov, "NOMINATIONS CONFIRMED (CIVILIAN)," accessed September 23, 2013
- ↑ United States Court of Federal Claims, "Elaine D. Kaplan," accessed July 18, 2014
- ↑ White House.gov, "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate," March 19, 2013