Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States District Court for the District of New Jersey|
|Appointed by:||Barack Obama|
|Active:||6/14/2011 - Present|
|Preceded by:||Katharine Hayden|
|Past post:||District of New Jersey, Magistrate Judge|
|Past term:||11/3/2006 - 6/14/2011|
|Hometown:||Los Angeles, CA|
|Undergraduate:||Rutgers University '91|
|Law School:||Rutgers University Law '94|
Esther Salas is a federal judge for the District of New Jersey. She was nominated to the court by President Barack Obama. Previously, Salas served as a federal magistrate judge for the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey from November 3, 2006 to 2011.
Early life and education
Esther Salas began her career as a clerk for New Jersey Superior Court Judge Eugene Codey. Salas was an associate at Garces & Grabler PC from 1995 to 1997. From 1997 to 2006, Salas worked as an Assistant Public Defender for the District of New Jersey.
District of New Jersey
|Court:||District of New Jersey|
|Progress:||Confirmed 195 days after nomination.|
|ABA Rating:||Unanimously Well Qualified|
On December 1, 2010, Salas was nominated by Barack Obama to fill the seat on the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey vacated by Katharine Hayden. President Obama had this to say about the nominations made on December 1, 2010, "These outstanding candidates have shown an unwavering commitment to justice throughout their careers. They all have long and distinguished records of service, and I am pleased to nominate them to continue serving the American people on the District Court bench."
Salas was rated Unanimously Well Qualified by the American Bar Association. She had a hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee on March 2, 2011 and you can find her Committee Questionnaire available here and her Questions for the Record available here.
District of New Jersey, Magistrate
From November 3, 2006 until her elevation to an Article III post, Salas served as a magistrate judge for the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey.
- List of judges at the Newark office of the District of New Jersey
- Hon. Esther Salas's profile on Zoominfo.com
- The Hispanic Bar Association, "The Hispanic Bar Association of New Jersey Congratulates the Honorable Esther Salas...," October 8, 2009
- Judge Esther Salas Biography from Federal Judicial Center.
- The Third Branch, "Judicial Milestones," December 2006
- Judge Esther Salas Biography from Federal Judicial Center
- New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Hon. Esther Salas profile
- White House Press Release "President Obama Names Seven to United States District Court," December 1, 2010
- White House Press Release "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate," December 1, 2010
- Senate Judiciary Committee, "Congress Nomination Materials," accessed April 25, 2014
|Federal judicial offices|
|District of New Jersey
|Vacancy Count by Congress|
|Vacancy Count by Year||Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2009 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2010 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2011 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2012|