Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Arizona Court of Appeals|
|Appointed by:||Gov. Janet Napolitano|
|Past post:||Partner, private practice|
|Past term:||Before joining court|
|Bachelors:||Arizona State University, 1981|
|Law School:||University of Arizona, 1984|
Garye L. Vasquez is a judge on the Arizona Court of Appeals, Division Two. He was appointed to the court by Governor Janet Napolitano, a Democrat, on December 12, 2005, and was retained in November 2008 for a six-year term on the court. His current term ends in 2014.
Judge Vasquez received his bachelor's degree in justice studies from Arizona State University in 1981, and his law degree from the University of Arizona in 1984.
- Vasquez was a partner in the law firm of Cooper, Vasquez & Rueter, LLP for twenty years.
- Vasquez was a member and officer, Pinal County Bar Association
- He served for nine years on the Casa Grande Elementary School District governing board.
- Board of Directors of Against Abuse, Inc.
In May 2008, the Arizona Court of Appeals voted to overturn an Arizona state law that provided tax dollars to private and parochial schools. Vásquez commented on the ruling, "Only by ignoring the plain text of the Arizona Constitution prohibiting state aid to private schools could we find the aid represented by the payment of tuition fees to such schools in this case constitutional."
Judge Vásquez indicated that such a program would require a constitutional amendment, adopted by the voters of the state, rather than a statute passed by the state legislature.
The program the judges overturned provided $2.5 million in state tax vouchers to the parents of former foster children who have been adopted, and $2.5 million for disabled children.
Judge Vasquez faced a retention election in 2008:
- 109,772 voted in favor of retention.
- 38,135 voted against his retention.
- Official biography of Judge Vasquez
- Arizona Court of Appeals, Division Two webpage
- List of Division Two judges
- Napolitano appoints Vasquez
- Arizona Commission on Judicial Performance Review Evaluation of Garye Vasquez