Hawaii Intermediate Court of Appeals
|Hawaii Intermediate Court of Appeals|
|Method:||Commission-selection, political appointment with Senate confirmation|
The Hawaii Intermediate Court of Appeals (ICA) is the intermediate appellate court in Hawaii. It was established by the Hawaii Constitution in 1959 and hears nearly all appeals from the trial courts, as well as from some state agencies. The ICA is composed of six judges who sit in panels of three.
The Intermediate Court of Appeals has discretionary authority to entertain cases submitted without a prior suit when there is a question of law that could be the subject of a civil action or a proceeding in the Circuit Court, or Tax Appeal Court, and the parties agree upon the facts upon which the controversy depends.
Cases in the Intermediate Court of Appeals may be transferred to the Hawaii Supreme Court upon application to the Supreme Court under circumstances set out in the Hawaii Revised Statutes. The ICA's Judgments on Appeal and dismissal orders are subject to the Hawaii Supreme Court's discretionary review by way of an application for a writ of certiorari.
|Judge Daniel Foley||2000-2010|
|Chief Judge Craig Nakamura||2004-2019|
|Judge Katherine Leonard||2008-2018|
|Judge Alexa Fujise||2004-2024|
|Judge Lawrence Reifurth||2010-2020||Gov. Linda Lingle|
|Judge Lisa M. Ginoza||2010-2020|
How judges are chosen
The court's judges are chosen according to a plan laid out in Article 6, Section 3 of the Hawaii Constitution.
- A list of 4-6 nominees is prepared by the Hawaii Judicial selection Commission.
- That list is presented to the governor.
- The governor chooses a judge from the list.
- The governor's choice is then subject to the advise and consent of the Hawaii Senate.
- Hawaii Judiciary, "Intermediate Court of Appeals"
- Hawaii Judiciary, "FAQ about the Intermediate Court of Appeals"
- May vary for chief judge
- Official website of the Intermediate Court of Appeals
- Pacific Business News "Appeals, circuit judge nominees named," January 22, 2010
- Pacific Business News "Lingle picks judges for appeals, circuit courts," February 10, 2010
- FAQ about the Hawaii Intermediate Appellate Court (dead link)