J. Larry Buffington
|J. Larry Buffington|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Mississippi 13th Chancery District|
|Succeeded by:||David Shoemake|
|Candidate for:||Chancery Court|
|Position:||District 13, Place 1|
|Election information 2014:|
J. Larry Buffington was a judge for the 13th Chancery District of Mississippi. The 13th District serves Covington, Jefferson Davis, Lawrence, Simpson and Smith counties. After running for re-election in 2010, he was defeated by David Shoemake.
Buffington ran for election to the court again in 2014.
- See also: Mississippi judicial elections, 2014
| Buffington ran for election to the 13th Chancery District.
General: He faced David Shoemake in the general election on November 4, 2014.
Buffington competed against Douglas MacArthur Magee and David Shoemake in the general election for the 13th Chancery Court. He was defeated by David Shoemake in the runoff election, receiving only 32% of the vote.
- Main article: Mississippi judicial elections, 2010
Judicial reprimand recommended
State judicial watchdog group The Commission on Judicial Performance recommended that Buffington be reprimanded for issuing subpoenas to two Simpson County supervisors in February of 2009. The Commission found that Buffington lacked the authority to compel the supervisors to appear before him for questioning. The commission report read in part: "Judge Buffington admitted that he had failed to comply with the law when issuing the subpoenas, but did not care." When questioned about the recommendation, Buffington said: "It's fair. It's time to conclude this and move on."
- The Impact, "Shoemake sworn in as Chancery Court Judge," January 11, 2011
- Mississippi Secretary of State, "2014 Candidate Qualifying List," accessed June 9, 2014
- WLBT3, "2010 Runoff Elections," November 24, 2010
- NEMS360.com, "Judicial Race Results," November 3, 2010
- Clarion Ledger, "Judge rapped by judicial watchdog," May 28, 2010
- Clarion Ledger, "Buffington: Judge puts the Buff in buffoonery," May 30, 2010