|Jane M. Beckering|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Michigan Third District Court of Appeals|
|Appointed by:||Gov. Jennifer Granholm|
|Past post:||Founder, Buchanan & Beckering, PLC|
|Candidate for:||Court of Appeals|
|Election information 2012:|
Judge Beckering worked as a private practice attorney for 17 years before becoming a judge. She first worked for the firm of McDermott, Will & Emery, P.C. in Chicago, Illinois, but later returned to Grand Rapids, Michigan and founded the law firm of Buchanan & Beckering, PLC.
Awards and Associations
Judge Beckering is a member of the steering committee for the Hillman Trial Advocacy Program, which teaches and assists young lawyers. She is also a member of the Michigan Supreme Court Committee on Model Civil Jury Instructions, and she is an Executive Committee Member of the Michigan Judges Association.
Political affiliation and campaign contributions
- See also: Michigan judicial elections, 2012
LWV Questionnaire: Supreme Court campaign 2006
- Do you support public financing of judicial campaigns? Explain.
- I believe that public financing of judicial campaigns is well worth exploring. Candidates should be selected based upon their legal acumen and ethical integrity, not their financial or political backing. Our system is reliant upon fair and impartial jurists, and removing the financial pressures and potential influences may serve not only to eliminate the appearance of impropriety, but also foster top tier applicants who might otherwise not pursue the bench.
- Do you believe the composition of juries in district and circuit courts adequately and fairly reflects society at large? Explain.
- While the jury system largely represents society at large, there is definitely room for careful evaluation and improvement in ensuring that the demographics of the jury pool represent the demographics of the community. Our current majority of the Michigan Supreme Court, however, has banned its unconstitutional affirmative action efforts seeking to accomplish a jury pool reflective of the community.
- What can be done to provide individuals with wider and better access to legal help and the legal system?
- Non-profit organizations such as the Legal Assistance Center in Kent County, Michigan are an excellent start at providing individuals with better access to legal help and guidance. Legal aid organizations also support those who otherwise could not afford access to the judicial system. The Michigan Bar Association should continue to encourage lawyers to volunteer their time to pro bono work and/or contribute financially to legal aid organizations as part of their public duty.
- Beckering's contributions to others' campagins
- Granholm appoints Beckering to Court of Appeals
- Buchanan Firm
- Michigan Supreme Court candidate Jane Beckering
- General Election Results
- Beckering wants to bring common sense to court
- Five are vying for two seats on Supreme Court: 2006
- Campaign Donations Tilt State’s High Court
- Campaign Contributions for 2006 race for High Court
- League of Women Voters: Supreme Court Campaign 2006
- Kent County Democratic Gala
- Hopefuls rush to get names on ballot
- Michigan Live
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Third District Court Judges: Biography of Judge Beckering
- ↑ Campaign Money
- ↑ Michigan Department of State, Unofficial 2012 General Election Results: 3rd District Court of Appeals Judge
- ↑ Michigan Department of State, 2012 Unofficial Michigan Primary Candidate Listing
- ↑ League of Women Voters: Supreme Court Campaign 2006