C. Jean Stewart
C. Jean Stewart is a former presiding judge of the Denver Probate Court in Colorado. She was the Court's Presiding Judge (Division 1) and was appointed by the Governor. Stewart stepped down on June 30, 2011.
- Main article: Colorado judicial elections, 2010
Stewart was recommended for retention by the Colorado Office of Judicial Performance Evaluation.
- Read the performance review here.
Stewart worked in private practice for 20 years. She was a partner and of counsel to the Denver law firm of Holme Roberts and Owen. She has served as Editor-in-Chief of the Denver Law Journal and was elected to the Order of St. Ives.
Controversial Letty Milstein Case
The Court of Appeals reversed Judge Stewart's decisions concerning the case of Letty Milstein in February of 1998. The Court determined that all decisions made by Judge Stewart after January 17, 1997 be set aside. The Court declared that, "We cannot determine from the hearing orders whether the probate court based its findings upon clear and convincing evidence." Letty's rights, according to the Court of Appeals, were violated repeatedly. Judge Stewart, in a response to a telephone call from Westword News, said she wouldn't comment "on an ongoing case."
- Denver's probate judge stepping down after 16 years
- Law Week Colorado, "Small Groups Emerge To Oppose Retention Of Judges In Denver, Jeffco," 29 October 2010
- 2010 Retention Survey Report for the Honorable C. Jean Stewart in pdf format
- "Lawyers, others take sides of efficacy of Denver probate court," The Denver Post, October 26, 2010
- “Denver’s public estate manager frequently sold house to the same buyer” The Denver Post, 05/02/2010
- "Probate court rife with lapses in training, oversight" The Denver Post, 02/21/2010
- "The Probate Pit" The Rocky Mountain News, April 7, 2001
- “Changing of the Guard” Westword, Dec 18 1997
- "To Grandmother's House We Go" Westword, Jun 12 1997
- "Mommy Dearest" Westword, May 22 1997
- Denver Probate Court website
- Personnel of the Denver Probate Court
- The Denver Post "Denver's probate judge stepping down after 16 years," April 14, 2011
- Press Release "Judge Stewart resigns from Denver Probate Court" April 13, 2011
- Official Colorado 2010 Election Results - Cumulative Report
- Denver County Elections, Unofficial 2010 General Election Results
- Judge Stewart Bio on denverprobatecourt.org
- Judicial Performance Review of Jean Stewart
- Judge Profile: C. Jean Stewart on Martindale.com
- "The Court of Appeals reverses a probate judge's controversial handling of the Letty Milstein case" Westword, Feb 12 1998