John A. Gibney
|John A. Gibney|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia|
|Appointed by:||Barack Obama|
|Active:||12/16/2010 - Present|
|Preceded by:||Robert Payne|
|Undergraduate:||College of William & Mary, 1973|
|Law School:||University of Virginia Law, 1976|
John Adrian Gibney, Jr. is a federal judge on the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. He was nominated to the court by President Obama on April 14, 2010 and confirmed by the Senate on December 16, 2010.
Early life and education
Gibney graduated from the College of William & Mary in 1973 and the University of Virginia School of Law in 1976.
- 2005-2010: Adjunct Professor, University of Richmond School of Law, Richmond, Virginia
- 1999-2004: Town Attorney, Ashland, Virginia
- 1984-2010: Private Practice, Richmond, Virginia
- 1982-1984: Assistant Attorney General, Commonwealth of Virginia
- 1978-1982: Private Practice, Richmond, Virginia
- 1976-1978: Law Clerk, Hon. Harry L. Carrico, Supreme Court of Virginia
Eastern District of Virginia
|Candidate:||John A. Gibney|
|Court:||Eastern District of Virginia|
|Progress:||Confirmed 246 days after nomination.|
|Nominated:||April 14, 2010|
|ABA Rating:||Unanimously Qualified|
|Hearing:||April 28, 2010|
|Reported:||May 27, 2010|
|Confirmed:||December 16, 2010|
|Vote: Voice vote|
Gibney was nominated for a seat on the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia by President Obama on April 14, 2010. Obama said of the nomination:
|“||I am pleased to nominate this dedicated public servant to serve on the United States District Court. He has an outstanding record of excellence and integrity and has exhibited a strong dedication to the rule of law throughout his career. I am confident he will serve the people of Virginia with distinction.||”|
Judiciary committee hearing
Gibney had a hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee on April 28, 2010. The Committee voted to forward his nomination to the full Senate on May 27, 2010 and the Senate confirmed his nomination on December 16, 2010.
- Politco "Senate confirms judicial nominees," December 16, 2010
- White House Press Release "President Obama Names John A. Gibney to United States District Court, Eastern District of Virginia," April 14, 2010
- Judge Gibney Biography from the Federal Judicial Center.
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Associated Press "Obama nominates Richmond lawyer John A. Gibney for federal court vacancy in Virginia," April 14, 2010
- White House Press Release "Presidential Nominations and Withdrawal sent to the Senate," April 14, 2010
- Judicial Nomination Materials
|Federal judicial offices|
|Eastern District of Virginia
|Vacancy Count by Congress|
|Vacancy Count by Year||Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2009 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2010 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2011 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2012|