John A. Ross
|John A. Ross|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri|
|Appointed by:||Barack Obama|
|Active:||10/11/2011 - Present|
|Preceded by:||Charles Shaw|
|Hometown:||St. Louis, MO|
|Undergraduate:||Emory U., B.A., 1976|
|Law School:||Emory U. School of Law, J.D., 1979|
John A. Ross is a federal judge for the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri. He was nominated by President Barack Obama in December 2010. Prior to becoming a federal judge, Ross was a circuit court judge for the 21st Circuit Court in Missouri.
Early life and education
- 2000-2011: Circuit judge, Missouri 21st Judicial Circuit Court
- 2009-2011: Presiding Judge
- 2005-2009: Assistant Presiding Judge
- County counselor, St. Louis County
- 1979-1991: Assistant county prosecuting attorney, St. Louis
- 1989: Special assistant attorney genera, St. Louis County
- 1984: Special assistant attorney general, Office of the Attorney General
Eastern District of Missouri
|Candidate:||John A. Ross|
|Court:||Eastern District of Missouri|
|Progress:||Confirmed 293 days after nomination.|
|ABA Rating:||Unanimously Well Qualified|
Judge Ross was nominated to serve on the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri on December 1, 2010.
Ross's nomination was returned to the President at the end of the 111th Congress. President Obama resubmitted the nomination on January 5, 2011.
Ross was rated Unanimously Well Qualified by the American Bar Association. He had a hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee on May 4, 2011 and you can find his Committee Questionnaire available here and his Questions for the Record available here.
Opposition to nomination
Congressman Lacy Clay opposed the nomination, due to Judge Ross' decision (as a Missouri Circuit Court judge) to put the Northeast Fire District's finances under court control after the district allegedly made improper payments and violated Missouri's open meetings law. In a letter to President Obama, Congressman Clay accused Ross of "judicial activism and blatant unfairness" for this decision. Obama commented on the nomination, stating, "These outstanding candidates have shown an unwavering commitment to justice throughout their careers. They all have long and distinguished records of service, and I am pleased to nominate them to continue serving the American people on the District Court bench."
State Impeachment filed against Ross
In May 2011, Missouri Representative Rochelle Gray sponsored HR 3102 to begin impeachment proceedings against Ross. He is accused of violating the Missouri Constitution. Specifically, he is charged with "judicial activism" and racial discrimination.
- 112th Congress Confirmation Materials
- Biography from Federal Judicial Center
- President Obama Names Seven to United States District Court White House Press Release, December 1, 2010
- stltoday.com "St. Louis county judge confirmed to federal bench" 9/20/2011
- St. Louis Post Dispatch, Fire district fracas leads to Clay's opposition of nominee for federal bench," December 20, 2010
- Gavel Grab, "Judicial Impeachment Sought in MO," May 20, 2011
|Federal judicial offices|
|Eastern District of Missouri
|Vacancy Count by Congress|
|Vacancy Count by Year||Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2009 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2010 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2011 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2012|