Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Louisiana First Circuit Court of Appeal|
|Past position:||Louisiana State Senator|
|Bachelors:||Louisiana State University, 1983|
|Law School:||Southern University Law Center, 1987|
|Candidate for:||Supreme Court|
|Election information 2012:|
|Primary date:||November 6, 2012|
|Election date:||December 8, 2012|
John M. Guidry is a judge on the Louisiana Court of Appeal First Circuit. He represent the Second District. He was elected to this position in October of 1997 and re-elected in 2002 and 2010. His current term ends in 2020. 
Judge Guidry is a 1983 graduate of LSU and a 1987 Cum Laude graduate of Southern University Law Center. 
Judge Guidry formerly served as a legislative assistant to the Honorable Joseph A. Delpit. He also served as the assistant clerk of the Louisiana House of Representatives and an assistant parish attorney.
In 1991, Judge Guidry was elected to the Louisiana House of Representatives and to the State Senate in 1993 as Senator for District 14. He was elected to his current position as a Judge of the First Circuit Court of Appeals in October 1997. Guidry was elected to a second term in 2002 while teaching appellate advocacy and legal writing classes at Southern University Law Center.
Guidry ran for the seat of retiring Chief Justice Catherine Kimball on the Louisiana Supreme Court, but was defeated by Jefferson Hughes in the December 8, 2012 runoff election. Guidry received 47.2% of the vote. Guidry previously received 27.5% of the vote in the eight-way general election on November 6, 2012.
- See also: Louisiana judicial elections, 2012
- Louisiana Democratic Party 
- Louisiana Court of Appeal First Circuit Website
- The Advocate, "Judicial candidate campaigns take divergent paths," November 13, 2012
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 East Baton Rouge Parish Library, "Our African American Legacy," biography
- ↑ The Advocate, "Hughes beats Guidry for Supreme Court", December 9, 2012
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Louisiana Secretary of State: Unofficial Election Results for 12/8/2012
- ↑ The Advertiser, "Election roundup", November 6, 2012
- ↑ Louisiana Secretary of State, Candidate Database Scroll to 5th Supreme Court District 1
- ↑ Louisiana Secretary of State: 2012 Election Dates
- ↑ Louisiana Democrats, "Louisiana Democratic Party Endorses Candidates in November 6th Election," October 8, 2012
- ↑ Louisiana Secretary of State, October 2, 2010 Election Results, MultiParish