Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Maine Supreme Judicial Court|
|Appointed by:||John Baldacci|
|Past post:||Maine district courts|
|Born:||March 18, 1954|
|Law School:||West Virginia University College of Law|
Jon D. Levy is an associate justice on the Maine Supreme Judicial Court. He was appointed to the state's highest court in March 7, 2002 by then-governor Angus King, an independent. He was re-appointed by Governor John Baldacci on February 4, 2009. His 7-year term ends in 2016.
Levy is a graduate of Syracuse University and the West Virginia University College of Law.
After law school, Levy clerked for U.S. District Judge John Copenhaver. He was later appointed to the position of court monitor by U.S. District Judge William Justice in the Texas prison conditions class action Ruiz v. Estelle.
Levy returned to Maine and practiced law for 13 years.
Levy was appointed to the District Court on July 13, 1995. From that point on, he would serve in multiple judicial capacities--as the Chief Judge of the District Court, Deputy Chief Judge of the District Court and as a District Court Judge sitting in District Ten. As a District Court Judge, Justice Levy was one of the presiding judges in the Juvenile Drug Treatment Court. From 1996 to 2000 Justice Levy served as the chairperson of the Maine Family Law Advisory Commission. He is the author of the book Maine Family Law, which was first published in 1988.
U.S. Reps Mike Michaud and Chellie Pingree recommended Levy to President Obama in May of 2011 for a federal judgeship on the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit.
- Biographies of the Maine Supreme Judicial Court justices
- Project Vote Smart, Justice Jon D. Levy (ME)
- Kennebec Journal, "Two from Maine recommended for Court of Appeals", May 27, 2011
- ↑ Maine Supreme Court justices since 1820
- ↑ Maine Supreme Judicial Court
- ↑ Gov. Baldacci 2009 Appointments
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Official biography of Judge Levy
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Cleaves Law Library biography of Jon Levy
- ↑ Daily Journal, "Maine judge, attorney nominated to serve on 1st Circuit Court of Appeals", May 27, 2011
|Former||Robert W. Clifford • D. Brock Hornby • Prentiss Mellen • Chief justices of the Maine Supreme Judicial Court • Gene Carter • Albion Keith Parris • Edward Fox • Morton Brody • Kermit Lipez • Scott Wilson •|