Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Florida Eleventh Circuit Court|
|Active:||2011 - 1/2/2017|
|Preceded by:||William Johnson|
|Past position:||Attorney, Law Offices of Jorge Rodriguez-Chomat & Associates, P.A.|
|Born:||June 28, 1945|
|Bachelors:||St. Thomas University - Biscayne College, 1969|
|Law School:||University of Miami School of Law, 1974|
|Military service:||Army Reserve, 1969-1975|
Rodriguez-Chomat was born on June 28, 1945. He received his A.A. degree from Miami-Dade Community College in 1967 and his B.A. degree from St. Thomas University - Biscayne College in 1969. From 1969 to 1975, he served in the U.S. Army Reserve. He also received his J.D. degree from the University of Miami School of Law in 1974.
Rodriguez-Chomat began his career in 1971 as an internal revenue agent. He then served as a Certified Public Accountant in 1976. He also ran his own law practice, Law Offices of Jorge Rodriguez-Chomat & Associates, P.A. In 1994, he was elected to the Florida House of Representatives, where he served District 114 as a Republican from 1995 to 1999. He joined the Circuit Court in 2011.
Flipped-off judge gives teen 30-days in jail
Judge Rodriguez-Chomat made national headlines when a video of his sentence against Penelope Soto on February 4, 2013 went viral. Soto, an 18-year-old woman brought in on drug charges, appeared before Rodriguez-Chomat in a bond hearing. After Rodriguez-Chomat set her bond at $5,000, she walked away laughing and said "Adios" to the judge in a mocking tone. The judge called her back and increased her bond to $10,000. At this, Soto, while walking away, flipped off the judge and told him to "*expletive* off". For this, Rodriguez-Chomat gave her 30 days in county jail.
- 11th Judicial Circuit of Florida: Judges Directory
- CBS Miami, "Judge Flipped Off In Court Has History of Short Temper," February 6, 2012
- ↑ 11th Judicial Circuit of Florida: Judge Jorge Rodriguez-Chomat
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 University of Miami School of Law, "Miami Law Alumnus Sworn IN as Miami-Dade Circuit Judge", February 10, 2011
- ↑ Law.com: Daily Business Review, "18 new bench assignments in Miami-Dade", January 5, 2011
- ↑ Miami-Dade County Judicial Directory
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Florida House of Representatives: Representative Jorge Rodriguez-Chomat
- ↑ Martindale.com: Law Offices of Jorge Rodriguez-Chomat & Associates, P.A.
- ↑ CBS Miami, "Judge Flipped Off In Court Has History Of Short Temper", February 6, 2013
- ↑ CBS Miami, "Bird-Flipping Teen Appears In Drug Court", February 6, 2013