|Current Court Information:|
|Ohio Supreme Court|
|Past position:||Lieutenant Governor of Ohio|
|Undergraduate:||Seton Hill College, 1973|
|Law School:||Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, 1980|
Maureen O'Connor is the chief justice of the Ohio Supreme Court; she assumed the position in January 2011. She was first elected to the court in November of 2002 and was elected as chief justice in 2010. Her current term expires in 2016.
After graduating from law school, O'Connor practiced law for four years. In 1985, she was appointed Magistrate to the Summit County Probate Court. She served in this capacity until joining the Summit County Court of Common Pleas in 1993. O'Connor was the prosecuting attorney for Summit County from 1995 to 1999. In 1998 she was elected Lieutenant Governor, a position she held until her election to the Ohio Supreme Court in 2002.
Awards and associations
- MADD Law Enforcement Award, Summit County, Ohio, 1997
- Cleveland State University Distinguished Alumnae Award for Civic Achievement, 1997 
- On March 29, 2011 she was named to the Women's Bar Foundation Leadership Institute 
Proposal for strengthening judicial elections
On May 26, 2013, O'Connor contributed an op-ed piece to the Columbus Dispatch introducing a proposal titled, "Ohio Courts 2013: A Proposal for Strengthening Judicial Elections". This proposal was submitted in hopes of encouraging the public to get involved in judicial reform. Issues that O'Connor presented for consideration:
- Should Ohio change the law so judicial races are no longer listed at the end of the ballot?
- Should all judicial elections be held in odd-numbered years?
- Should Ohio centralize and expand its civic-education programming and institute a judicial voter guide?
- Should Ohio eliminate party affiliation on the ballot in judicial primaries?
- Should Ohio join the other states that have a formal, nonpartisan system for recommending nominees to the governor to fill judicial vacancies?
- Should appointments to the Ohio Supreme Court require the advice and consent of the Ohio Senate?
- Should Ohio increase the basic qualifications for serving as a judge?
- Should Ohio increase the length of judges’ terms?
- See also: Akron Legal News, "It’s time to work together to strengthen judicial elections", May 30, 2013
Plan to reduce judiciary budget
During a news conference on July 21, O'Connor outlined a plan to help reduce the cost of running the judiciary in Ohio, focusing on the chief justice's role as head of the state's courts. Ways to cut costs include: cuts to the Ohio Courts Network, the state law library and implementing a two year salary freeze for court personnel. 
- Main article: Ohio judicial elections, 2010
O'Connor was elected Chief Justice of the Ohio Supreme Court, becoming the first woman to ever serve as Chief Justice in Ohio history. She defeated Eric Brown in the general election, winning 67.8% of the vote. 
Justice Connor was up for re-election on November 4, 2008. She faced Joseph D. Russo, a Common Pleas Court judge from Cuyahoga County. Justice O'Connor won with 67% of the votes, to Judge Russo's 33%.  For more information, see the Ohio Supreme Court elections article.
- News: Ohio's Chief Justice wins award, April 12, 2012
- Chief justice seeks changes in how Ohio appoints, elects judges 4/3/11
- Ohio Supreme Court, Justice Maureen O'Connor
- Campaign for Chief Justice website
- Ohio Judicial Center, Maureen O'Connor
- Project Vote Smart, Justice Maureen O'Connor (OH)
- The Columbus Dispatch, The Daily Briefing: "O'Connor: Strip partisan labels from court," September 13, 2010
- The Vindy, "Justice O'Connor stresses diversity", March 26, 2010
- The Plain Dealer, "Ohio Supreme Court reverses Brunner on Summit appointment", June 16, 2008
- Cuyahoga Republican Party, Spring 2008 Issue
- The Supreme Court of Ohio & the Ohio Judicial System, Press Release: "Chief Justice Supports State Issue 1," September 28, 2011
- The Plain Dealer, "Ohio Chief Justice Maureen O'Connor says party labels have no place in judicial elections", May 9, 2013
- ↑ Campaign for Chief Justice website
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Maureen O'Connor Bio
- ↑ Justices Named to Women's Bar Foundation Leadership Institute 3/29/11
- ↑ The Columbus Dispatch, "Maureen O’Connor commentary: Let's improve how judges are selected", May 26, 2013
- ↑ Fox 8 News, "Candidate for Ohio Chief Justice announces plan to trim court spending", July 21, 2010
- ↑ The Columbus Dispatch, "Chief-justice candidates spar over plan to trim budget", July 22, 2010
- ↑ Ohio Secretary of State, Live Unofficial Election Results
- ↑ The Plain Dealer "Ohio Supreme Court Justice Maureen O'Connor to make run for chief justice official today", February 9, 2010
- ↑ Ohio.com, Congressional and State Races, November 4, 2008
- ↑ Ohio Secretary of State, 2002 Election Results, Supreme Court Justice
- ↑ 2002 contributions to candidates for Ohio Supreme Court Justice