Kathleen M. O'Malley
|Kathleen M. O'Malley|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit|
|Appointed by:||Barack Obama|
|Active:||12/27/2010 - Present|
|Preceded by:||Alvin Schall|
|Past post:||Federal Judge, Northern District of Ohio|
|Hometown:||Drexel Hill, PA|
|Undergraduate:||Kenyon College, A.B., 1979|
|Law School:||Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., 1982|
Kathleen M. O'Malley is a federal judge for the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. She was appointed to this position by President Obama on March 10, 2010 and was confirmed by the Senate on December 22nd, 2010.
Early life and education
Born in Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania, O'Malley graduated from Kenyon College with her bachelor's degree in 1979 and received a Juris Doctor degree from Case Western Reserve University School of Law in 1982.
- 1994-2010: Federal judge, United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- 1993-1994: Chief of staff and first assistant, Ohio State Attorney General's Office
- 1991-1993: Chief counsel, Ohio State Attorney General's Office
- 1983-1991: Attorney, Porter, Wright, Morris & Arthur LLP and Jones Day in Cleveland, Ohio
- 1982-1983: Law Clerk, Hon. Nathaniel Jones, Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
|Candidate:||Kathleen M. O'Malley|
|Progress:||Confirmed 287 days after nomination.|
|Nominated:||March 10, 2010|
|ABA Rating:||Unanimously Well Qualified|
|Hearing:||July 28, 2010|
|Reported:||September 23, 2010|
|Confirmed:||December 22, 2010|
|Vote: Voice vote|
O'Malley was nominated by President Obama on March 10, 2010 to fill a seat on the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit vacated by Alvin Schall. Obama said of the nomination, "Kate O’Malley will... bring an unwavering commitment to fairness and judicial integrity to the federal bench."
The Federal Circuit Bar Association supported O'Malley's nomination to the Federal Circuit.
Judiciary Committee hearing
O'Malley's hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee was be July 28, 2010. On September 23, 2010, the Senate Judiciary Committee voted unanimously to send O'Malley's nomination to the U.S. Senate for a vote. O'Malley was confirmed by the U.S. Senate on December 22, 2010.
Northern District of Ohio
On the recommendation of Ohio Senators Howard Metzenbaum and John Glenn, O'Malley was nominated to the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio by President Bill Clinton on September 20, 1994 to a seat vacated by John Potter. O'Malley was confirmed by the U.S. Senate on October 7, 1994 and received commission on October 12, 1994. She left the court when she was appointed to the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- Judge Kathleen O'Malley's USDC, NDOH Court Profile
- Blog of Legal Times "White House Rolls Out Two More Circuit Nominees," March 10, 2010
- The Plain Dealer:Metro Blog "U.S. District Judge Kate O'Malley nominated to appeals court in Washington," March 11, 2010
- Judge O'Malley Biography from the Federal Judicial Center
- The Blog of Legal Times, "Senate Confirms Five Judicial Nominees," December 22, 2010
- WKYC.com, "Cleveland: County corruption probe Judge O'Malley confirmed as U.S. Appeals judge," December 22, 2010
- Judge O'Malley Biography from the Federal Judicial Center.
- White House Press Release "President Obama Nominates Raymond Lohier, Jr. for the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, Judge Kate O'Malley for the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit," March 10, 2010
- White House Press Release "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate," March 10, 2010
- Blog of Legal Times "Federal Circuit Court Nominee Gains Support," March 11, 2010
- U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee, Judicial Nomination Materials: 111th Congress (dead link)
- Legal Times, "Democrats Push Forward on Goodwin Liu, Other Judge Nominees," September 23, 2010
- Results of Executive Business Meeting, September 23, 2010
- "THOMAS" Kathleen O'Malley USDC, NDOH confirmation: PN1786-103
|Federal judicial offices|
|Northern District of Ohio
|Former judges||Paul Michel • Randall Rader • Arthur Gajarsa • Daniel Friedman • Glenn Archer • James Almond • Jean Bissell • Phillip Baldwin • Marion Bennett • Arnold Cowen • Oscar Davis • Shiro Kashiwa • Don Laramore • Howard Markey • Jack Miller • Philip Nichols • Helen Nies • Giles Rich • Byron Skelton • Edward Smith • Edward Samuel Smith •|
|Former Chief judges|
|Vacancy Count by Congress|
|Vacancy Count by Year||Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2009 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2010 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2011 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2012|
|Magistrate judges||Vernelis Armstrong • William Baughman • George Limbert • Kenneth McHargh • Nancy Vecchiarelli • Greg White • James Knepp • Kathleen B. Burke •|
|Former Article III judges||
Ann Aldrich • Sam Bell • David Dowd • Kathleen M. O'Malley • Alice Batchelder • Robert Krupansky • Leroy Contie • Hiram V. Willson • Charles Taylor Sherman • Martin Welker • Augustus Ricks • Francis Joseph Wing • Robert Walker Tayler • William Louis Day • John Milton Killits • John Hessin Clarke • David Westenhaver • Paul Jones • George Philip Hahn • Frank Kloeb • George White • Frank Battisti • James Connell • Emerich Freed • Ben Green • Girard Kalbfleisch • Alvin Krenzler • Thomas Lambros • John Manos • Paul Matia • Charles McNamee • Richard McQuade • William K. Thomas • Nicholas Walinski • Samuel West • Robert Wilkin • Don Young • Paul Weick •
|Former Chief judges|