Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit|
|Appointed by:||Bill Clinton|
|Preceded by:||Conrad Cyr|
|Succeeded by:||William Kayatta|
|Past post:||Maine Supreme Court|
|Undergraduate:||Haverford College, 1963|
|Law School:||Yale Law, 1967|
|Grad. School:||University of Virginia Law, 1990|
Kermit Victor Lipez is a federal judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit. He joined the court in 1998 after being nominated by President Bill Clinton. He assumed senior status on December 31, 2011. Prior to his appointment, Lipez was a judge on the Maine Supreme Court from 1994-1998.
Lipez graduated from Haverford College in Ardmore, Pennsylvania with his bachelor's degree in 1963 and from Yale Law School with his bachelor's of law degree in 1967. Lipez obtained his master's of laws degree in 1990 from the Virginia Law.
- 1994-1998: Justice, Maine Supreme Court
- 1985-1994: Justice, Maine Superior Court
- 1973-1985: Attorney, Private Practice, Portland, Maine
- 1971-1972: Legislative Aide, U.S. Sen. Edmund S. Muskie
- 1968-1971: Special Assistant and Legal Counsel, Gov. Kenneth M. Curtis, Maine
- 1967-1968: Staff Attorney, Civil Rights Division, U.S. Department of Justice Honors Program
Lipez was nominated to the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit by President President Bill Clinton on October 20, 1997, to fill a seat vacated by Judge Conrad Cyr. Lipez was confirmed by the U.S. Senate on April 2, 1998, on a majority vote and received his commission on April 7, 1998. He assumed senior status on December 31, 2011. He was succeeded to this post by Judge William Kayatta.
- U.S.Courts, "Current Judicial Vacancies"
- Kennebec Journal, "Two from Maine recommended for Court of Appeals," May 27, 2011
- Kermit Lipez Biography (dead link) from the Federal Judicial Center, accessed January 27, 2014
- THOMAS, "Kermit Lipez USCA, 1st Cir. confirmation: PN743-105"
- Bangor Daily News, "Maine’s 1st Circuit judge to take senior status," April 8, 2011
|Federal judicial offices|
|Former judges||Stephen Breyer • David Souter • Hugh Bownes • Benjamin Bourne • John A. Lowell • Jeremiah Smith • John Lowell • George Foster Shepley • LeBaron Bradford Colt • William LeBaron Putnam • Francis Cabot Lowell • Frederic Dodge • James Madison Morton • William Schofield • George Weston Anderson • George Hutchins Bingham • Charles Fletcher Johnson • Scott Wilson • John Christopher Mahoney • Calvert Magruder • Bailey Aldrich • John Patrick Hartigan • Frank Coffin • Edward McEntee • Peter Woodbury •|
|Former Chief judges|