Kirsten Frank Kelly
|Kirsten Frank Kelly|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Michigan First District Court of Appeals|
|Past position:||3rd Circuit Court Presiding Judge|
|Bachelors:||Michigan State University, 1978|
|Law School:||University of Detroit School of Law, 1981|
|Candidate for:||Court of Appeals|
|Election information 2012:|
Kirsten Frank Kelly is a judge on the Michigan First District Court of Appeals. This district encompasses Wayne, Monroe, Lenawee, Calhoun, and Hillsdale counties. Judge Kelly was elected to this position in 2000 and her current term expires January 1, 2019.
Before she was elected to the Court of Appeals, Judge Kelly was a municipal judge (three terms), a judge of the Wayne Circuit Court (3rd Circuit Court), and presiding judge of the Family Division of the Wayne Circuit Court.
In a referendum with the Eastside Republican Club for the November 7, 2006 General Election, Judge Kelly recognized her role as judge. Kelly articulated a philosophy of judicial restraint, saying, "We are bound by legislation and precedents the Supreme Court gives us." She said the role of a Michigan judge is to apply the law without creating new law. Kelly said, "Policy decisions do not belong to the judicial branch."
- See also: Michigan judicial elections, 2012
Court rejects bid to remove judges in Kilpatrick case
According to the Detroit News, the Michigan Court of Appeals rejected the Wayne County Prosecutor's effort to remove every judge in the city's 36th District Court from overseeing proceedings in the criminal case against then-Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick. With that ruling, the court discarded any idea of impropriety on the entire bench. In an opinion authored by Judge Kirsten Frank Kelly, and signed by Kurtis Wilder and Christopher Murray, the court wrote, "That the judges of the 36th District Court may have relationships with witnesses beyond those prescribed in the court rule does not warrant recusal, in absence of showing bias (and none is alleged), because the role of the judge in a preliminary exam is not to gauge guilt or innocence, and generally does not require making credibility determinations."
Court rules in favor of property owner
In a decision authored by Judge Kirsten Frank Kelly and signed by Judge Kurtis Wilder, the Michigan Court of Appeals did not uphold an Oakland County circuit court ruling that a tenant was solely responsible for a fire started in her apartment. Instead, the Court of Appeals held that both the tenant and her co-signer could be found "jointly and serverally obligated to pay for any damage they caused to the premises."
- Institute of Continuing Legal Education
- Eastside Republican Club
- Michigan Court of Appeals Annual Report 2005
- November 7, 2006 General Election Results
- Governor and Supreme Court Chief Justice Appoint Members to Child Support Coordinating Council
- The Detroit News: Appeals Court rejects bid to remove judges from Kilpatrick case
- Court reverses office shooting verdict
- The News Herald
- Lansing State Journal: Michigan court reverses office shooting verdict
- ↑ Eastside Republican Club
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Judge Kelly Bio
- ↑ Eastside Republican Club
- ↑ Michigan Secretary of State, Unofficial Election Results: 1st District Court of Appeals Judge
- ↑ Michigan Secretary of State, 2012 Unofficial Michigan Primary Candidate Listing
- ↑ Detroit News
- ↑ Michigan Court of Appeals rules tenant can be held liable for damages to apartment building