Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts|
|Appointed by:||Barack Obama|
|Past post:||Chief Magistrate Judge|
|Undergraduate:||Yale College,, 1983|
|Law School:||Columbia Law School, 1991|
Leo T. Sorokin is a federal judge for the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts. Sorokin was nominated by President Barack Obama on December 19, 2013, to fill a vacancy on the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts. The United States Senate confirmed Sorokin on June 10, 2014, on a vote of 91-0.
Prior to his confirmation to a a position as a federal judge, he was a federal magistrate judge for the same court. He was appointed to the court on April 11, 2005. Sorokin was reappointed to another eight-year term that started in April of 2013.
Early life and education
- 2013-Present: Adjunct Professor, Boston University School of Law
- 1997-2005: Assistant Federal Public Defender, Federal Public Defender's Office
- 1994-1997: Office of the Attorney General, Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- 1996-1997: Assistant Attorney General and Opinions Coordinator
- 1994-1996: Assistant Attorney General
- 1992-1994: Associate, Mentz Levin
- 1991-1992: Law Clerk, Hon. Rya Zobel, District of Massachusetts
District of Massachusetts
|Court:||District of Massachusetts|
|Progress:||Confirmed 173 days after nomination.|
|Nominated:||December 19, 2013|
|ABA Rating:||Unanimously Well Qualified|
|Hearing:||February 25, 2014|
|Reported:||March 27, 2014|
|Confirmed:||June 10, 2014|
Leo Sorokin was nominated by President Barack Obama on December 19, 2013, to fill a vacancy on the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts. The vacancy was created when Joseph Tauro took senior status on September 26, 2013. On the nomination:
|“||I am honored to put forward these highly qualified candidates for the federal bench... They will be distinguished public servants and valuable additions to the United States District Courts.||”|
Sorokin's nomination was returned by the Senate on January 3, 2014, and he was renominated on January 6th by President Obama. He had a hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee on February 25, 2014. The committee reported Sorokin to the full Senate on March 27, 2014, by voice vote. The United States Senate confirmed Sorokin on June 10, 2014, on a vote of 91-0.
District of Massachusetts magistrate judge
Sorokin is a federal magistrate judge for the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts. He works in the district's Boston office, and was first appointed to the court on April 11, 2005.
Steven Howitt case (2011)United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts (Gary M. Jones and Steven S. Howitt, v. Vito Scotti et al., 08-10583-LTS)
Judge Sorokin threw out a federal lawsuit filed by State Representative Steven Howitt against former Police Chief Vito Scotti. The lawsuit alleged that Scotti was liable for damages and harm caused to Howitt's career as a result of what Howitt claims was a personally and politically motivated police internal affairs investigation. Judge Sorokin threw out the case saying that because internal affairs investigations are not prosecutions Howitt could not claim malicious prosecution and could also not seek defamation claims because statements made to police during investigations are protected from such claims.
Awards and associations
- 2009: Citation for Judicial Excellence, Boston Bar Association
- 1989-1990: Kent Scholar, Columbia Law School
- 1988-1989, 1990-1991: Stone Scholar, Columbia Law School
- 2013-Present: United States District Court Reentry Committee
- 2013: Selection Committee for Clerk of Court, United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- 2012-Present: United States District Court Committee on Court Security
- 2012-Present: United States District Court Committee on Information Technology
- 2011-Present: Federal Courts Law Review, At-Large Editor, Federal Magistrate Judges Association
- 2010: Selection Committee for Chief United States Probation Officer, United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- 2009-Present: United States District Court Criminal Justice Act Plan Committee
- 2008-Present: Brookline High School Parent Teach Organization
- 2006-Present: District Court Magistrate Judge Liaison, Criminal Justice Act Board
- 2004-2005: Criminal Law Section Steering Committee, Boston Bar Association
- 2003-Present: Brookline Recreation League Youth Soccer
- 2003-2004: Criminal Justice Act Panel Advisory Committee
- 2000-Present: Pierce School Parent Teach Organization
- 2000-2008: Board Member, Teachers as Scholars
- 1996-2005: Board Member, Center for First Amendment Rights, Inc.
- 1984-1988: Board Member, Tennis en France, Inc.
- Federal Bar Association
- Massachusetts Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- Magistrate judges of the District of Massachusetts since 1971
- Official website of the District of Massachusetts
- White House, "President Obama Nominates Eight to Serve on the United States District Courts," December 19, 2013
- United States Senate, "On the Nomination (Confirmation of Leo T. Sorokin, of Massachusetts, to be United States District Judge for the District of Massachusetts)," June 10, 2014
- Boston.com, "US Magistrate Judge Sorokin reappointed in Mass.," January 5, 2013
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts, Biography of Leo Sorokin
- Senate Judiciary Committee, "Questionnaire for the Nominee," accessed February 26, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- American Bar, "RATINGS OF ARTICLE III JUDICIAL NOMINEES 113TH CONGRESS," accessed December 27, 2013
- White House, "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate," January 7, 2014
- Senate Judiciary Committee, "Nomination hearing," accessed February 26, 2014
- Senate Judiciary Committeee, "Results of Executive Business Meeting - March 27, 2014," accessed April 4, 2014
- Sun Chronicle "Howitt's federal lawsuit tossed out by judge," September 23, 2011
|Federal judicial offices|
|District of Massachusetts
|Vacancy Count by Congress|
|Vacancy Count by Year||Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2009 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2010 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2011 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2012|