Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States District Court for the Southern District of New York|
|Appointed by:||Barack Obama|
|Active:||12/13/2012 - Present|
|Preceded by:||Shira Scheindlin|
|Undergraduate:||Indiana U., B.A., 1977|
|Law School:||New York U. Law, J.D., 1981|
Lorna Schofield is a judge for the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York. She joined the court in 2012 after a nomination from President Barack Obama. Prior to joining the court, Schofield was a partner in the law firm Debevoise & Plimpton LLP in New York City.
Early life and education
Schofield earned her B.A. from Indiana University in 1977. She went on to attend New York University School of Law, earning her J.D. four years later.
- 1991-2012: Partner, Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
- 1988-1991: Private practice, Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
- 1984-1988: Assistant United States Attorney, Southern District of New York
- 1981-1984: Associate, Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton
Federal judicial nomination
|Court:||Southern District of New York|
|Progress:||Confirmed 232 days after nomination.|
|ABA Rating:||Unanimously Well Qualified|
On April 25, 2012, President Barack Obama nominated Lorna Schofield to the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York to fill the vacancy left by Shira Scheindlin. Obama commented on the two nominations, stating, “I am honored to put forward these highly qualified candidates for the federal bench. They will be distinguished public servants and valuable additions to the United States District Court.”
Schofield was rated Unanimously Well Qualified by the American Bar Association. She had a hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee on June 6, 2012 and you can find her Committee Questionnaire available here and her Questions for the Record available here.
On December 13, 2012, the United States Senate confirmed Lorna Schofield to an Article III post for the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York with a vote of 91-0.
- "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate" 4/25/2012
- Report on the Activities of the Senate Judiciary Committee, 112th Congress
- "President Obama Nominates Four to Serve on the US District Court," April 25, 2012
- Senate Judiciary Committee, "112th Congress Nomination Materials," accessed April 23, 2014
- United States Periodic Press Gallery
|Federal judicial offices|
|Southern District of New York
|Vacancy Count by Congress|
|Vacancy Count by Year||Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2009 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2010 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2011 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2012|