Louisiana judicial news
News about courts and judges in Louisiana
- Courtroom Weekly: Transport in court, 2013-06-13 09:54:06
- Federal Courts, Empty Benches: The Wednesday Vacancy Count 5/15/2013, 2013-05-15 13:20:08
- Courtroom Weekly:Life and privacy, 2013-05-09 09:07:36
- Courtroom Weekly:Football, self-defense and adoption issues, 2013-04-18 09:52:16
- Hughes wins runoff election for Louisiana Supreme Court seat, 2012-12-10 09:54:01
- Louisiana election recap, 2012, 2012-11-14 09:25:51
- JP Election Brief: 2012 State Supreme Court Results, 2012-11-07 12:14:04
- JP Election Brief: Costly campaigns and a 12-way race, 2012-11-01 09:10:57
- Judgepedia:2012 State Supreme Court Elections, 2012-10-19 08:30:12
- JP Election Brief: The Supreme Court Special, 2012-10-18 09:57:27
- Louisiana Supreme Court internally decides next Chief Justice, 2012-10-17 06:35:21
- JP Election Brief: Election preview for all thirty-six states, 2012-09-06 11:00:07
- Federal judge rules in favor of Johnson for chief justice, 2012-09-05 09:39:08
- JP Election Brief: High court races setting the tone, 2012-08-23 09:21:36
- Qualifying opens for general election in Louisiana, 2012-08-14 09:49:15
- Taxicab rule case goes to Louisiana federal court, 2012-07-31 07:49:52
- Chief Justice succession controversy in Louisiana now includes lawsuit, 2012-07-10 07:46:47
- Judge William Crain to run for appellate court in 2012, 2012-06-29 09:05:07
- Successor for Chief Justice Kimball an issue in Louisiana, 2012-06-15 09:44:40
- JP Election Brief: Focus on the Gulf States and Northwest, 2012-05-17 07:08:06
- Federal Courts, Empty Benches:The Wednesday Vacancy Count 5/2/2012, 2012-05-02 10:44:22
- JP Election Brief: Florida gets ready as Alabama wraps up (and more!), 2012-04-26 07:45:59
- JP Election Brief: Changing the rules in Florida and Nevada (and more!), 2012-04-19 07:04:25
- Federal Courts, Empty Benches:The Wednesday Vacancy Count 4/4/2012, 2012-04-04 11:23:06
- Louisiana sues county in Arkansas over photocopies, 2012-03-16 10:15:44
- JP Election Brief: Heading south with news from Louisiana, Alabama, Florida and Texas, 2012-03-15 09:34:25
- Former governor touts achievements of diversity in Louisiana, 2012-02-28 10:56:40
- Louisiana appellate court travels the circuit, 2012-02-15 08:26:25
- Robert Burgess censured by Louisiana Supreme Court, 2012-01-27 09:35:56
- Judge, Attorney General face-off in Louisiana over lawyers in oil spill case, 2012-01-16 02:15:34
- Louisiana insurer must pay $93M, Supreme Court rules, 2011-12-28 14:26:04
- Jenkins appointed to Orleans Parish District Court, 2011-12-14 18:07:52
- Two Louisiana judges win run-off elections, 2011-11-25 12:45:22
- New Orleans judges spend big on state-funded trips, 2011-11-11 16:45:16
- Jane Triche-Milazzo confirmed by Senate for Louisiana judgeship, 2011-11-08 12:40:46
- Federal Courts, Empty Benches:The Wednesday Vacancy Count 11/2/2011, 2011-11-02 11:44:23
- Election results: 2011 Louisiana primary, 2011-10-23 15:37:12
- New Orleans City Attorney confirmed as newest Louisiana federal judge, 2011-10-19 12:14:56
- Federal Courts, Empty Benches:The Wednesday Vacancy Count 10/12/2011, 2011-10-12 13:52:39
- Federal Courts, Empty Benches:The Wednesday Vacancy Count 10/5/2011, 2011-10-05 14:14:35
- Suspension recommended for attorney of ex-Judge Thomas Porteous, 2011-09-26 22:58:16
- New judge appointed to New Orleans Traffic Court, 2011-09-14 09:44:30
- Commission rates efficiency of Orleans Parish judges, 2011-08-24 14:46:31
- LeBlanc, Hall to serve as officers in the Judiciary Commission of Louisiana, 2011-08-13 18:19:54
- Federal Courts, Empty Benches:The Wednesday Vacancy Count 7/20/2011, 2011-07-20 13:12:46
- Clinton Smith appointed temporary Orleans Parish Traffic Court judge, 2011-07-13 13:57:28
- Alarcon announces retirement from Louisiana District Court in Orleans Parish, 2011-06-23 15:30:16
- Federal Courts, Empty Benches:The Wednesday Vacancy Count 6/8/2011, 2011-06-08 07:45:36
- Louisiana House votes against minority judgeship bill, 2011-06-07 23:35:02
- Legislature approves bill to build new Livingston Parish courthouse, 2011-05-27 10:06:59
- Higginson nominated for federal Circuit Court judgeship in New Orleans, 2011-05-10 16:05:35
- U.S. 5th Circuit Court upholds Louisiana court's adoption ruling, 2011-04-30 16:05:33
- Obama nominates two to fill federal court vacancies, 2011-04-01 14:53:43
- April 2 is election day in Louisiana, 2011-04-01 09:11:57
- Supreme Weekly: Tensions mounting in the states, 2011-03-24 15:07:44
- Obama nominates three to federal district court seats, 2011-03-03 10:43:05
- No pay raises for Louisiana judges this year, 2011-02-24 23:59:09
- Baton Rouge court ruling enforces fees on criminal defendants, 2011-02-12 15:26:47
- Senate convicts Louisiana judge on four impeachment charges, 2010-12-10 13:14:07
- Louisiana: First state to finish reporting election results, 2010-11-02 22:48:15
- Louisiana district judge resigns from case involving slaying of prison guard, 2010-09-10 21:49:06
- Judge Downing to resign, 2010-07-20 15:03:28
- Louisiana federal judges confirmed, 2010-06-16 07:57:52
- Louisiana Court of Appeal judge announces retirement, 2010-05-04 13:36:34
- Longest serving judge in Louisiana to retire in 2011, 2010-04-24 23:37:40
- Impeachment trial begins for Louisiana federal judge, 2010-04-14 10:05:19
- Louisiana Court of Appeals judge announces bid for re-election, 2010-03-30 22:05:21
- Louisiana Supreme Court delivers ruling against pipeline companies, 2010-03-20 15:55:11
- Louisiana federal judge impeached, 2010-03-11 17:36:02
- Louisiana Supreme Court overturns ruling and disqualifies candidate, 2010-03-05 02:07:26
- Federal judge nominated for Louisiana, 2010-02-08 19:49:34
- Controversial Louisiana court ruling on timber theft, 2010-02-01 16:49:16
- Louisiana court suspends attorney, 2010-01-31 03:36:08
- Louisiana Supreme Court bans former judge from practicing law, 2010-01-22 19:05:27
- New judge appointed to Louisiana appellate court, 2010-01-20 21:23:48
- Former judge disbarred by Louisiana Supreme Court, 2010-01-19 21:39:21
- Impeachment proceedings against Thomas Porteous to continue, 2009-11-18 10:52:38
- Clark defeats Faircloth for seat on Louisiana Supreme Court, 2009-10-18 14:17:17
- Louisiana Supreme Court race candidates qualified, 2009-08-13 11:22:28
- Nominees for LA Supreme Court vacancy announced, 2009-07-10 12:38:12
(October 7, 2008) Run-down of Jefferson Parish judicial contests.
Caddo District judge Michael Walker was sentenced to ten years in prison on October 2, 2008; Walker's imprisonment was the result of having received kickbacks in return for bond reductions that allowed drug defendants to get out of jail. He was convicted along with Caddo Juvenile Court Judge Vernon Claville.
(8/26/08) Criminal Court District Judge Arthur Hunter was reimbursed for over $21,000 worth of travel in the last 3 years.
(8/12/08) State Judge William Roe of Plaquemines Parish pleaded not guilty to theft and malfeasance charges related to financial mismanagement in the 25th Judicial District Court.
(8/12/08) District Judge Don Johnson's opponent, Tarvald Smith, dropped out of the race. Johnson has no remaining opponent in the 2008 election.
(8/10/08) State Judges Elaine DiMiceli, Patricia Hedges, Larry Green and Donald Fendlason are retiring this year. The addition of the two family court judgeships would mean that at least half of the judicial positions -- or six of the court's 12 judicial divisions -- likely would be contested in October.
(6/2/08) Legislators from surrounding parishes have formed a coalition to divide the first district of the First Circuit Court of Appeals. House Bill 854 by Rep. Eddie Lambert, a Republican from Gonzales, is expected to receive its final hearing on the Senate floor this week, but a group of coastal lawmakers are expected to float an alternative that could give the proposal a new life. Lambert argues that the northerly parishes in the district—Ascension, Assumption, Iberville and Pointe Coupee—are unable to gain representation on the benches. Presently, the vote-heavy areas of Terrebonne and Lafourche parishes have a hold over all four of the district's at-large judgeships.
(5/29/08) Steven Scheckman, special counsel to the Judiciary Commission of Louisiana quit his position to join the New York State Commission on Judicial Conduct.
(5/27/2008) Justice was for sale at the hands of Caddo District Judge Michael Walker and Juvenile Court Judge Vernon Claville.The two acted with a local bondsman and an informant to reduce bonds, set low bonds and lift probation holds as a part of a bribery scheme.
(5/22/08) Gov. Jindal has signed ethics legislation aimed at lawmakers, the governor and other state and local officials, and the missing piece according to Advocate Opinion Staff is ethics reform regarding judges. Rep. Eric Ponti, Baton Rouge, has proposed bills to address this issue, and the bills should be before the Judiciary Committee next week.
(5/22/2008) The Justice Department agreed to the creation of a sub-district within Jefferson Parish; the parish is predominantly black and is governed by the United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. The NAACP sued the state in 2005, in order to get the majority-minority voting district.
(10/23/07) Rundown of judicial contestants for the 24th District; Republicans Donald Rowan and Deborah Villio faced off in the Nov. 17 runoff to replace Judge Charles Cusimano for the Division L seat.
(11/26/2006) Terrebonne Parish government requested $50,000 extra in legal fees for the 2006 fiscal year. At the time, it was estimated that $300,000 was spent on legal advice/research and $546,000 on litigation. The parish's seven attorneys charge $105 an hour for their work defending the parish in court, writing ordinances or researching legal questions.