Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Texas District 148|
|Succeeded by:||Guy Williams|
|Past position:||Judge, Texas District 148|
|Undergraduate:||Mary Hardin-Baylor College|
|Law School:||University of Texas at Austin|
Saldaña began her career as a caseworker for the Department of Health and Human Services. She was admitted to the bar in 1984, and began her legal career as an attorney. She worked in that capacity until 1995, when she was elected to the Nueces County Court at Law No. 3. She was then elected to the district court in 2006, where she is currently a visiting judge.
Notable cases=====Lengthy graffiti sentence=
In December of 2009 Judge Saldana sentenced 18-year-old Sebastian Perez to eight years in prison for three counts of graffiti and one count of marijuana possession. There is a maximum two-year sentence for each of the charges, but the eight-year sentence was overturned on the grounds that sentences cannot be "stacked". Perez's sentence was reduced to two-years total.
- 148th District
- The Nueces County Record Star, "ELECTION 2010: 148th District Judge - Marisela Saldana," October 27, 2010
- Caller.com, "Corpus Christi Bar Association released the 2011 judicial evaluation poll results," November 14, 2011
- Nueces County Joint Election 2010 - Cumulative Report — Official, November 2, 2010 Scroll to p.5
- Marisela Saldaña's campaign website
- Martindale, "Judge Profile:Marisela Saldana"
- Corpus Christi Caller "Judge sentences graffiti vandal to eight years," December 11, 2009
- The Raw Story "Irate judge won’t get to tag graffiti vandal with eight years," December 18, 2009