Mary Jane Theis
|Mary Jane Theis|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Illinois Supreme Court|
|Position:||Vacancy of Thomas Fitzgerald|
|Preceded by:||Thomas R. Fitzgerald|
|Past position:||Illinois First District Appellate Court|
|Born:||February 27, 1949|
|Bachelors:||Loyola University, 1971|
|Law School:||University of San Francisco School of Law, 1973|
|Candidate for:||Supreme Court|
|Confirmation:||Vacancy of Thomas Fitzgerald|
|Election information 2012:|
|Primary date:||March 20, 2012|
|Election date:||November 6, 2012|
Mary Jane Theis is a justice on the Illinois Supreme Court. She was appointed to the court to for a two year term, effective October 26, 2010. She was re-elected in 2012 for a ten-year term that expires in 2022.
Theis graduated from Loyola University in 1971 with a B.A. degree. She then received her J.D. degree from the University of San Franscisco School of Law in 1973. She is currently married and has two children.
Judge Theis began her career in 1974 as an Assistant Public Defender. She then worked on the Cook County Circuit Court (First Municipal District) as an Associate Judge (1983-1988) and a Circuit Judge (19988-1993). In 1994, she started her sixteen year career with the Illinois First District Appellate Court, where she stayed until joining the Illinois Supreme Court in October 2010.  
Theis ran for re-election to the seat vacated by Thomas R. Fitzgerald. Theis won the Democratic primary with 48% of the vote. She then defeated Republican James G. Riley in the November 6, 2012 general election with 74.7% of the vote.
- See also: Illinois judicial elections, 2012
In 2012 Mary Jane Theis spent $1,198,590 on primary TV ads.
- News: Four candidates have declared for next year's Illinois Supreme Court election, June 7, 2011
- Illinois Supreme Court
- ↑ The Chicago Tribune, "Illinois Supreme Court chief justice to retire," September 13, 2010
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Official biography of Judge Theis
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Illinois Board of Elections: November 6, 2012 Official Vote Scroll to p.119
- ↑ Chicago Council of Lawyers, "Evaluation of Judge Theis," 2007
- ↑ Illinois State Board of Elections: Candidate List for Supreme Court seat, 2012
- ↑ IllinoisJudges.net, Election Results for the March 20th Illinois Judicial Primary
- ↑ Justice at Stake, "Campaign Money Patterns Entering New Phase in 2012 Judicial Races," September 13, 2012
|Former||Mary Ann McMorrow • Thomas R. Fitzgerald •|