Mary Jane Theis
|Mary Jane Theis|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Illinois Supreme Court|
|Preceded by:||Thomas R. Fitzgerald|
|Past position:||Judge, Illinois First District Appellate Court|
|Past position 2:||Judge, Illinois Cook Judicial Circuit Court|
|Past term 2:||1983-1993|
|Born:||February 27, 1949|
|Undergraduate:||Loyola University, 1971|
|Law School:||University of San Francisco School of Law, 1973|
|Candidate for:||Supreme Court|
|Confirmation:||Vacancy of Thomas Fitzgerald|
|Election information 2012:|
|Primary date:||March 20, 2012|
|Election date:||November 6, 2012|
Mary Jane Theis is a justice on the Illinois Supreme Court. She was appointed to the court to for a two-year term, effective October 26, 2010. She was re-elected in 2012 for a ten-year term that expires in 2022.
Theis graduated from Loyola University in 1971 with a B.A. degree. She then received her J.D. degree from the University of San Franscisco School of Law in 1973. She is currently married and has two children.
- 2010-2022: Justice, Illinois Supreme Court
- 1994-2010: Judge, Illinois First District Appellate Court
- 1983-1993: Judge, Illinois Cook Judicial Circuit Court
- 1974-1983: Assistant Public Defender
Theis ran for re-election to the seat vacated by Thomas R. Fitzgerald. Theis won the Democratic primary with 48% of the vote. She then defeated Republican James G. Riley in the November 6, 2012 general election with 74.7% of the vote.
- See also: Illinois judicial elections, 2012
In 2012, Mary Jane Theis spent $1,198,590 on primary TV ads.
- News: Four candidates have declared for next year's Illinois Supreme Court election, June 7, 2011
- Illinois Supreme Court
- The Chicago Tribune, "Illinois Supreme Court chief justice to retire," September 13, 2010
- Official biography of Judge Theis (dead link)
- Illinois Board of Elections: November 6, 2012 Official Vote Scroll to p.119
- Chicago Council of Lawyers, "Evaluation of Judge Theis," 2007 (dead link)
- Illinois State Board of Elections: Candidate List for Supreme Court seat, 2012
- IllinoisJudges.net, Election Results for the March 20th Illinois Judicial Primary
- Justice at Stake, "Campaign Money Patterns Entering New Phase in 2012 Judicial Races," September 13, 2012
|Former||Mary Ann McMorrow • Thomas R. Fitzgerald •|