Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania|
|Active:||06/13/2011 - Present|
|Law School:||Duquesne U. Law|
Maureen P. Kelly is a federal magistrate judge for the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania. She was appointed to this position on June 13, 2011.
Early life and education
Judge Kelly was born in Youngstown, Pennsylvania. She is a graduate of University of Notre Dame, and attended law school at the Duquesne University School of Law.
Judge Kelly is married, with two children.
After graduating from law school, Magistrate Judge Kelly became an associate at Thorp, Reed & Armstrong. There she focused on commercial and employee litigation, and eventually rose to partner at Thorp, Reed & Armstrong. In 1999, she left the firm to join Babst, Calland, Clements & Zomnir as a shareholder and chaired the Employment and Labor Services Group. She focused significantly on litigating issues related to Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the American Disabilities Act, restrictive covenants, FLSA collective actions, and employment contracts.
Judge Kelly has held numerous legal board positions, both legal and community:
- Former chair of Interest on Lawyers Trust Account Board
- Former member of the Lawyers Advisory Committee to the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Former chair of the Merit Selection Panel for the Selection and Appointment of Magistrate Judge for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- Co-chair of the Allegheny County Bar Association's Gender Equality Committee (currently serving)
- Former chair of the Allegheny County Bar Association's Civil Litigation Section Council
- Former elected member of the Allegheny County Bar Association's Judiciary Committee
- Former co-chair of the Pennsylvania Bar Association Task Force on Student Loan Forgiveness
- Former member of the Pennsylvania Bar Association Task Force on the Delivery of Legal Services to the Poor
- Former member of American Bar Association Commission on the Interest on Lawyers Trust Accounts
- Former President of the Neighborhood Legal Services Association
- Chaired the annual Equal Justice Under Law Campaign
- Former member of the board of directions of the Pennsylvania Legal Services (1996 to 2003)
- Carnegie Museum of National History board member (current)
- Former member of the Advisory Board of the Center for Social Concerns at the University of Notre Dame
Judge Kelly is currently a federal magistrate judge for the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania.
Awards and honors
- Induction into the American College of Trial Lawyers (2007)
- Induction into the Litigation Council of America (2008)
- Elected to the Academy of Trial Lawyers in Allegheny County (1996), and is a Fellow in the Academy of Trial Advocay
- Listed in the Labor and Employment Section of the Best Lawyers in American (2008 to 2011)
- Deemed a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer (2005 to 2011)
- Deemed one of Pittsburgh's Top 50 Lawyers
- Deemed one of Pennsylvania's Top 50 Women Lawyers
- Awarded the Sylvia H. Rambo Award by the Penn State Dickison School of Law for her efforts on behalf of female attorneys and her distinguished law career (2008)
- Received the Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network's Outstanding Leadership in Support of Legal Services award (2007)
- Presented with the Susan B. Anthony Award by the Women's Bar Association (2007)
- Recipient of the Dorothy Ann Richardson Award from the Neighborhood Legal Services Association for her advocacy work (2006)
- Named Woman of the Year by the Women's Law Association of Duquesne University School of Law (2004)
- Received the Duquesne University School of Law Outstanding Alumni Achievement Award (1999)
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Official website of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- Contact Information for Judge Maureen P. Kelly
- Official Biography of Judge Kelly from the Western District of Pennsylvania