Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Nevada Supreme Court|
|Past position:||Nevada Eighth Judicial District Court|
|Bachelors:||University of Missouri, 1966|
|Law School:||Washington University School of Law, 1969|
|Candidate for:||Supreme Court|
|Election information 2012:|
|Election date:||November 6, 2012|
Michael A. Cherry is a justice for the Nevada Supreme Court. Cherry was elected to the Supreme Court on November 7, 2006.  His current term ends in 2019. He served as Chief Justice from May 7, 2012 until January 5, 2013.
After graduating from law school, Cherry became a Deputy Public Defender in Clark County. From there he moved into private practice, first as an associate and later, partner. He spent years concentrating on fire litigation with hotel chains before serving as an alternate municipal judge in Las Vegas and Henderson. In 1997, Cherry was appointed to the Clark County Special Public Defender's Office. One year later he was elected to the Eighth District Court. He was elected to the Nevada Supreme Court in 2006.
2010 judicial survey
The Las Vegas Review Journal conducted a judicial performance evaluation in 2010. The survey asked state attorneys to rate judges on a variety of criteria. Of the 796 respondents, 73% recommended Judge Cherry for retention. 
- See also: Nevada judicial elections, 2012
First Amendment rights
The Review-Journal successfully petitioned a District Court judge to lift an order preventing the media from identifying women who have accused Las Vegan Steven Newberg of rape. Judge Cherry overturned a gag order that justice of the peaceAnn Zimmerman had placed on the press, prohibiting the publication or broadcast of the names of three alleged rape victims who had appeared in open court and whose names are contained in the public record. Cherry ruled that the decision on whether to identify alleged rape victims who testify in court should be left to Las Vegas Valley media outlets. "I'm going to leave it to the (Las Vegas) Sun and the Review-Journal as to how they are going to handle it," he said.
- News: Justice Michael Cherry becomes Nevada Supreme Court Chief Justice, May 15, 2012
- News: Incumbent Nevada Supreme Court judges face no opposition in coming election, January 31, 2012
- ↑ 2006 election results
- ↑ Nevada Supreme Court website, "Justice Michael Cherry Becomes Supreme Court Chief Justice," May 7, 2012
- ↑ Project Vote Smart, Justice Michael A. Cherry (NV)
- ↑ Nevada Judiciary Justice Michael A. Cherry
- ↑ Judicial Performance Evaluation:Results
- ↑ Judicial Performance Evaluation:Methodology
- ↑ Silver State: 2012 Official Election Results: Statewide/Judicial
- ↑ RGJ.com, "3 Nev. Supreme Court Justices run unopposed," January 23, 2012
- ↑ Follow the Money: Michael Cherry
- ↑ Campaign finance reports
- ↑ Nevada Secretary of State, 2006 General Election Results
- ↑ Review Journal
- ↑ Access My Library
|Former||A. William Maupin • Cameron Batjer •|