Michael H. Simon
|Michael H. Simon|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States District Court for the District of Oregon|
|Appointed by:||Barack Obama|
|Active:||6/22/2011 - Present|
|Preceded by:||Ancer Haggerty|
|Hometown:||New York, NY|
|Undergraduate:||University of California, Los Angeles, B.A., 1978|
|Law School:||Harvard Law School, J.D., 1981|
Michael H. Simon is a federal judge for the United States District Court for the District of Oregon. He was nominated by President Barack Obama in July 2010. Previously, Simon was a partner in the law firm Perkins Cole LLP.
Early life and education
District of Oregon
|Candidate:||Michael H. Simon|
|Court:||District of Oregon|
|Progress:||Confirmed 342 days after nomination.|
|ABA Rating:||Majority Well Qualified, Minority Qualified|
On July 14, 2010, President Obama nominated Simon to the federal bench, along with four other nominees. President Obama commented on the nominations, stating, "These individuals have demonstrated a commitment to justice throughout their careers. I am confident they will serve the American people with distinction from the United States District Court." Simon was nominated to fill the seat vacated by Ancer Haggerty.
The American Bar Association rated him Majority Well Qualified, Minority Qualified. Simon's hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee was on November 17, 2010, and you can find his hearing transcript here. He was voted 16-3 out of committee.
Simon's nomination was returned to the President at the end of the 111th Congress. President Obama resubmitted the nomination on January 5, 2011. Simon's nomination was confirmed by the Senate on June 21, 2011, by a vote of 64-35.
- Associated Press, "Judge appoints ex-governor to settle port dispute," June 22, 2012 (dead link)
- The Associated Press, "Federal judge says no to halt in sea lion killing," May 31, 2012
- StatesmanJournal.com, "Obama names two as federal judges in Oregon," July 14, 2010
- Biography from Federal Judicial Center
- Official Federal Judicial Center Biography of Judge Simon
- The White House, Press Release: "President Obama Names Five to United States District Court," July 14, 2010
- White House Press Release "Presidential Nominations and Withdrawal Sent to the Senate," July 14, 2010
- Judicial Nomination Materials (dead link)
- 112th Congress Confirmation materials
|Federal judicial offices|
|District of Oregon
|Vacancy Count by Congress|
|Vacancy Count by Year||Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2009 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2010 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2011 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2012|
|Magistrate judges||John Acosta • Mark Clarke • Dennis Hubel • John Jelderks • Paul Papak • Janice Stewart • Patricia Sullivan • Thomas Coffin •|
|Former Article III judges||
James Alger Fee • Matthew Paul Deady • Charles Byron Bellinger • Charles Edwin Wolverton • Robert Sharp Bean • Michael Hogan • John Hugh McNary • Alfred Goodwin • Otto Skopil • Edward Leavy • Claude McColloch • Robert Belloni • James Burns • William East • Gus Solomon • Helen Frye • John Kilkenny •
|Former Chief judges|