|Current Court Information:|
|United States District Court for the Southern District of New York|
|Appointed by:||Ronald Reagan|
|Active:||11/9/1987 - 8/1/2006|
|Preceded by:||Abraham Sofaer|
|Succeeded by:||Richard Sullivan|
|Born:||July 28, 1941|
|Undergraduate:||Columbia University, 1963|
|Law School:||Yale Law School, 1967|
Michael B. Mukasey was the 81st Attorney General of the United States of America. In this role, he was both head of the United States Department of Justice and the chief law enforcement officer of the federal government. Judge Mukasey was nominated to be Attorney General by President George W. Bush on September 17, 2007, and confirmed by the United States Senate on November 8, 2007. His term ended on January 20, 2009.
Prior to serving as Attorney General, Mukasey was a judge on the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York from 1987 to 2006. He served as Chief Judge on the court from 2000 until his retirement.
Early life and education
Mukasey received his undergraduate degree from Columbia University in 1963 and his law degree from Yale University in 1967.
- 2007-2009: United States Attorney General
- 2000-2006: Chief Judge, United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- 1987-2000: Judge, United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- 1976-1987: Partner, Patterson, Belknap, Webb & Tyler
- 1975-1976: Chief, Official Corruption Unit, U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York
- 1972-1975: Assistant United States Attorney, Southern District of New York
- 1967-1972: Attorney, Webster, Sheffield, Fleischmann, Hitchcock & Brookfield
In 2012, Mukasey was interviewed at Yeshiva University during the program "Religion and Ethics in an Age of Terror."
Southern District of New York
Mukasey was appointed to the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York by President Ronald Reagan in 1987 and served until 2006. Mukasey became Chief Judge in 2000 and served in that position until stepping down from the court.
Awards and Recognition
- Learned Hand Medal for Excellence in Federal Jurisprudence, Federal Bar Council
- Honorary degree, Brooklyn Law School
- Lecturer in law, Columbia University
- Director, William Nelson Cromwell Foundation
- Director, Jewish Children's Museum
- Office of the Attorney General
- Judicial Biography at Federal Judicial Center
- The Wall Street Journal, "Make No Mistake, It Was Jihad," April 21, 2013
|Federal judicial offices|
|Southern District of New York