Mississippi Court of Appeals
The Mississippi Court of Appeals is the intermediate-level appellate court for Mississippi. The court was created by the Mississippi Legislature to relieve a backlog of cases in the Mississippi Supreme Court, and commenced operations in 1995.
The Mississippi Court of Appeals hears and decides appeals from the various trial courts of the state. The cases the court hears are assigned to it by the Supreme Court of Mississippi, and generally relate to issues where the law is already settled, but the facts are in dispute. For this reason, it is known as an "error correction court". It hears and decides appeals on issues in which the law is already settled, but the facts are in dispute.The Supreme Court may review Court of Appeals decisions, but if the Supreme Court declines review, the decision of the Court of Appeals stands.
The court's geographic jurisdiction is divided into five districts. Some of the state's counties are divided between districts.
Judges of this court are typically listed by seniority. Click the arrows in the "Term" column to sort judges by their dates of service.
|Mississippi Court of Appeals|
|Method:||Non-partisan election of judges|
There are ten judges on the Mississippi Court of Appeals. Non-partisan elections are staggered so that not all positions are up for election at one time. Court of Appeals judges serve eight-year terms.
|Judge Ceola James||2013-2020||District 2, Position 2|
|Chief Judge Joseph Lee||1998-2018||District 4, Position 2|
|Presiding Judge Tyree Irving||1998-2018||District 2, Position 1|
|Presiding Judge T. Kenneth Griffis||2002-2015||District 3, Position 2|
|Judge Donna Barnes||2004-2018||District 1, Position 2||Gov. Haley Barbour|
|Judge David Ishee||2004-present||District 5, Position 2||Gov. Haley Barbour|
|Judge Larry Roberts||2006-present||District 3, Position 1||Gov. Haley Barbour|
|Judge Virginia Carlton||2007-2015||District 4, Position 1|
|Judge Eugene Fair||2012-2020||District 5, Position 1||Gov. Haley Barbour|
|Judge Jimmy Maxwell||2009-2018||District 1, Position 1||Gov. Haley Barbour|
|Judge Gene Fair||2011-present||District 5, Position 1||Gov. Haley Barbour|
- Includes the counties of Alcorn, Benton, Calhoun, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Desoto, Grenada (split w/District 2), Itawamba, Lafayette, Lee Marshall, Monroe, Montgomery, Oktibbeha (split w/District 3), Panola (split w/District 2), Pontotoc, Prentiss, Tallahatchie (split w/District 2), Tate, Tippah, Tishominto, Union, Webster, and Yalobusha.
- Includes the counties of Attala (split w/District 3), Bolivar, Carroll, Claiborne, Coahoma, Grenada (split w/District 1), Hinds (split w/District 4), Holmes, Humphreys, Issaquena, Jefferson, Leake (split w/District 3), Leflore, Madison (split w/District 3), Montgomery (split w/District 1), Panola (split w/District 1), Quitman, Sharkey, Sunflower, Tallahatchie (split w/District 1), Tunica, Warren, Washington, and Yazoo.
- Includes the counties of Attala (split w/District 2), Clarke, Clay, Jasper, Jones (split w/District 4), Kemper, Lauderdale, Leake (split w/District 2), Lowndes, Madison (split w/District 2), Neshoba, Newton, Noxubee, Oktibbeha (split w/District 1), Rankin, Scott, Smith, Wayne (split w/District 5) and Winston.
- Includes the counties of Adams, Amite, Copiah, Covington, Franklin, Hinds (split w/District 2), Jefferson Davis, Jones (split w/District 3), Lawrence, Lincoln, Marion, Pike, Simpson, Walthall and Wilkinson.
- Includes the counties of Forrest, George, Greene, Hancock, Harrison, Jackson, Lamar, Pearl River, Perry, Stone, Wayne (split w/District 3).