Mitchell L. McLean
|Mitchell L. McLean|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|North Carolina 23rd Judicial District|
|Title:||Former Chief District Court Judge|
|Past position:||Attorney, Vannoy, Colvard & Triplett|
|Undergraduate:||Emory and Henry College|
|Law School:||Wake Forest University|
Mitchel L. McLean was the chief district court judge for the 23rd Judicial District of North Carolina, serving Alleghany, Ashe, Wilkes and Yadkin counties. He joined the court in 1998 and was most recently re-elected in November 2010 to another four-year term. McLean passed away on July 3, 2013 after attempting to rescue a drowning woman.
Mary Anne Galway, 55, and her husband Edward got stuck in a rip tide at Sunset Beach where Judge McLean and his family were on vacation. McLean jumped in to help the couple, but ended up drowning along with Mrs. Galway. Authorities credit McLean, who was 54, with saving Mr. Galway's life.
Before he became a judge in 1998, McLean practiced law with the firm of Vannoy, Colvard & Triplett in North Wilkesboro, North Carolina.
- See also: North Carolina judicial elections, 2010
- The North Carolina Court System, "Alleghany County - District 23"
- The North Carolina Court System, "Ashe County - District 23"
- The North Carolina Court System, "Wilkes County - District 23"
- The North Carolina Court System, "Yadkin County - District 23"
- Wilkes Journal-Patriot, "Wilkes judge drowns at beach," July 5, 2013
- News2.com, "Mitchell McLean, Triad Judge, Drowns Trying to Save Married Couple," July 4, 2013
- Winston-Salem Journal, "More than 1,000 attend Wilkes judge's memorial service," July 8, 2013
- Martindale.com, Judge Profile: Mitchell L. McLean
- North Carolina Secretary of State, Unofficial General Election Results