Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Delaware Supreme Court|
|Appointed by:||Thomas R. Carper|
|Past post:||Delaware Court of Chancery|
|Bachelors:||University of Virginia, 1967|
|Law School:||University of Virginia School of Law, 1970|
|Grad. School:||University of Virginia School of Law, 2005|
|Military service:||United States Army, Delaware Army National Guard|
Myron T. Steele is the chief justice of the five member Delaware Supreme Court. He was appointed by Governor Ruth Ann Minner and confirmed by the Delaware State Senate as 7th Chief Justice on May 5, 2004. Steele was first appointed to the court in the state's Commission-selection, political appointment method of judicial selection by Governor Thomas R. Carper on July 28, 2000. His current term on this court ends on May 26, 2016 and he plans not to seek retention, but will instead go into the private practice of law at that time.
Steele earned his undergraduate degree in Foreign Affairs from the University of Virginia in 1967. He earned his Juris Doctor in 1970 and LL.M. in 2005 from the University of Virginia School of Law.
Steele began his legal career on active duty in the U.S. Army and retired as a Colonel in the Delaware Army National Guard. Steele practiced law in a variety of positions, including: Deputy Attorney General, Delaware Senate Attorney, Chairman of the Consumer Affairs Board, outside counsel and Chairman of the Central Delaware Health Care Corportaion, and with the firm Prickett, Jones & Elliott. His first judicial position was to the Superior Court of Delaware where he served from 1988 until 1990. From there he moved onto become the Resident Judge of Kent County Superior Court, Delaware. His last appointment before the Delaware Supreme Court was to the Delaware Court of Chancery, where he served as Vice Chancellor from 1994 until 2000.
Awards and Associations
- 100 Most Influential People in Corporate Governance, Directorship Magazine, 2007
- 100 Most Influential People in Business Ethics, Ethisphere Magazine, 2007
- Board of Directors, National Center for State Courts 
- Advisor, American Bar Association, Business Law Section
- Member, Judicial Conference Committee on Federal-State Jurisdiction
- Member, American Bar Association, Business Law Section, Negotiated Acquisitions Committee
- Member, American Bar Association, Judicial Section
- Member, American Board of Trial Attorneys 
- President, Congress of Chief Justices
- Former Faculty, Pennsylvania School of Law
- Faculty, University of Virginia Law School
- Faculty, Pepperdine Law School
- Delaware Supreme Court
- Delaware Corporate and Commercial Litigation Blog, "Interview with Delaware Supreme Court Chief Justice Myron Steele", December 28, 2009
- delawareonline, "Delaware's corporate dominance threatened", March 2, 2010
- Delaware National Guard, "Delaware Guard Honors Retired Member, New State Supreme Court Chief Justice", October 2004
- Who's Who Legal "An interview with Chief Justice Myron Steele of the Delaware Supreme Court", October 2011
|Former||Collins Seitz •|