Nebraska Court of Appeals
|Nebraska Court of Appeals|
|Method:||Commission-selection, political appointment|
The Nebraska Court of Appeals is the intermediate appellate court in Nebraska. It was established by a constitutional amendment on September 6, 1991 and is primarily located in the state capitol in Lincoln. For convenience, the court occasionally travels to other cities to hear cases. The court consists of six judges who are nominated by the Governor from lists created by judicial nominating commissions. A chief judge is selected by the six judges on the court and approved by the Nebraska Supreme Court to serve a two-year renewable term. Judges on the Nebraska Court of Appeals serve six-year terms and subsquently run in retention elections.
In Nebraska, all cases seeking to appeal the decision of a lower court must be presented in the Court of Appeals. Exceptions to this rule include cases involving a sentence of death or life imprisonment or cases involving the constitutionality of a statute. Cases falling under those circumstances are appealed in the Nebraska Supreme Court. Cases can petition the Supreme Court to bypass the Court of Appeals and proceed directly to the Supreme Court's docket.
|Justice Lindsey Miller-Lerman||1998-2014||Gov. Ben Nelson|
|Chief Judge Everett Inbody||2004-2016|
|Judge John Irwin||1992-present|
|Judge Frankie Moore||2000-2016|
|Judge Michael Pirtle||2011-present|
|Judge Riko E. Bishop||2013-2016||Gov. Dave Heineman|
- News: 4 Appeals Court nominee names forwarded to Governor for selection, June 20, 2011
- News: Michael Pirtle to fill vacancy on Nebraska Court of Appeals, July 6, 2011
- News: Three nominated for Nebraska Court of Appeals vacancy, June 26, 2012
- State of Nebraska Judicial Branch, "Court of Appeals"
- State of Nebraska Judicial Branch, "Court of Appeals Judges"
- Governor Dave Heineman News, "Judicial Nominating Commission Forwards Nominees to Gov. Heineman for Court of Appeals, First Judicial District," May 30, 2013.
William Connolly • John Wright • Richard Sievers • Theodore Carlson • William Cassel •