Nelva Gonzales Ramos
|Nelva Gonzales Ramos|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas|
|Station:||Corpus Christi, TX|
|Appointed by:||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by:||Hayden Head|
|Past post:||Texas District 347|
|Past term:||2000 - 2011|
|Undergraduate:||Southwest Texas State U., B.S., 1987|
|Law School:||U. of Texas Law, J.D., 1991|
Nelva Gonzales Ramos is an Article III federal judge for the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas. She was nominated by President Barack Obama in January 2011. Before being appointed to the Southern District of Texas bench, Ramos served as the judge of Texas District 347 from 2000 to 2011.
Early life and education
- 2001-2011: District judge, Texas 347th Judicial District
- 1999-2000: Private practice, Corpus Christi, Texas
- 1997-1999: Judge, Municipal Court, City of Corpus Christi, Texas
- 1991-1997: Private practice, Corpus Christi, Texas
Southern District of Texas
|Candidate:||Nelva Gonzales Ramos|
|Court:||Southern District of Texas|
|ABA Rating:||Substantial Majority Qualified, Minority Well Qualified|
Ramos was nominated to the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas to replace the recently retired Hayden Head.
Ramos was rated Substantial Majority Qualified, Minority Well Qualified by the American Bar Association. She had a hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee on April 13, 2011, and you can find her Committee Questionnaire available here and her Questions for the Record available here .The Senate Judiciary Committee voted to send Ramos' nomination to the full Senate for a vote on May 12, 2011.
Ramos was confirmed on August 2, 2011 by a Senate voice vote. After receiving word on August 4, 2011 that the paperwork had been signed by President Obama, Ramos was officially sworn in at the Federal Courthouse in Corpus Christi.
- News-Journal.com, Longview Texas "Obama nominates Corpus Christi judge to federal bench," January 28, 2011
- Judge Ramos' Biography from Federal Judicial Center
- Houston Chronicle, "Nueces County judge nominated to federal bench," January 27, 2011
- Caller.com, "Committee vote brings Nelva Gonzales Ramos closer to federal judgeship," May 12, 2011
- 112th Senate Confirmation Materials
- Corpus Christi Caller, "President signs off on Nelva Gonzales Ramos' confirmation," August 4, 2011
- The Corpus Christi Caller Times, "Attorneys, judges apply to fill vacancy Nelva Gonzales Ramos appointment may create," June 8, 2011
|Federal judicial offices|
|Southern District of Texas
|Vacancy Count by Congress|
|Vacancy Count by Year||Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2009 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2010 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2011 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2012|