North Carolina Superior Courts
The North Carolina Superior Courts are courts at the trial level in North Carolina. According to the court website: "All felony criminal cases, civil cases involving more than $10,000 and misdemeanor and infraction appeals from District Court are tried in Superior Court. A jury of 12 hears the criminal cases. In the civil cases, juries are often waived."
The superior courts are split into eight divisions and forty-seven districts. Generally, Superior Court judges rotate among the districts within their division every six months. However, this rotation has been suspended due to budgetary constraints on at least three occasions. The rotation system is intended to avoid any favoritism arising that might result from having a permanent judge in a district.
A superior court sits in the county seat of each county.
Superior court divisions
The following serve as special judges of the Superior Court:
- Sharon Barrett
- Lisa C. Bell
- Beecher R. Gray
- Kendra Hill
- Jeff Hunt
- Martin B. McGee
- Calvin E. Murphy
- Reuben F. Young
- Louis A. Bledsoe (Business Court)
- The North Carolina Court System: About Superior Courts
- Map and list of the Superior Courts of North Carolina
- Real Clear Politics, "Perdue forms panel to help with NC judge decisions," April 07, 2011
- Court Statistics Project: North Carolina court structure