Pascagoula schools don't have to share taxes with other districts, Mississippi high court rules
Mississippi: The Mississippi Supreme Court struck down a lower court's ruling on April 12, 2012, declaring a 2007 state tax law unconstitutional. The law states that 71% of property taxes from the Chevron refinery and natural gas facilities in Pascagoula have to be shared with the nearby Moss Point, Ocean Springs and Jackson County districts. Pascagoula keeps the other 29%.
The Pascagoula school districts objected to this redistribution. The Supreme Court agreed that the law was unconstitutional.
Writing for the majority, Justice Ann Lamar explained, "[the Mississippi Constitution] clearly states that a school district may tax to fund 'its schools,' leaving no room for an interpretation allowing the Legislature to mandate that the funds be distributed elsewhere."
Chevron's taxes amounted to $35.6 million last year. The Pascagoula School District received $16.6 million.