Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States Court of Federal Claims|
|Appointed by:||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by:||Lawrence M. Baskir|
|Past post:||Chief Special Master|
|Undergraduate:||Duke University, 1987|
|Law School:||Tulane Law School, 1992|
Patricia Campbell-Smith is a federal judge for the United States Court of Federal Claims. She joined the court as a special master in 2005 and became the chief special master on April 7, 2011. On March 19, 2013, President Barack Obama nominated Kaplan to the United States Court of Federal Claims to fill the vacancy left by Judge Lawrence M. Baskir. She was confirmed by the Senate on September 19, 2013 to a fifteen-year term.
On October 21, 2013, President Barack Obama appointed Campbell-Smith to be the Cchief judge for the court, making her the first African-American to serve in that position on the Court of Federal Claims.
- 1998-2005: Clerk, Judge Emily C. Hewitt
- 1997-1998: Attorney, Liskow & Lewis
- 1996-1997: Clerk, Judge Sarah Vance
- 1993-1996: Attorney, Liskow & Lewis
- 1992-1993: Clerk, Judge Martin Feldman
- 1991: Extern, Judge John Minor Wisdom
|Court:||United States Court of Federal Claims|
|Progress:||Confirmed 184 days after nomination.|
|Nominated:||March 19, 2013|
|Hearing:||May 8, 2013|
|Reported:||June 6, 2013|
|Confirmed:||September 19, 2013|
On March 19, 2013, President President Obama nominated Campbell-Smith to a post on the United States Court of Federal Claims, filling the spot vacated by Judge Lawrence M. Baskir. Obama commented on the nomination, stating:
|“||These nominees have dedicated their careers to serving the public good. And in so doing, they have displayed an unyielding commitment to justice and integrity. I am confident that they will serve the American people well from the Court of Federal Claims, and I am honored to nominate them today.||”|
On September 19, 2013, Campbell-Smith was confirmed by the Senate to a fifteen-year appointment to the United States Court of Federal Claims. Campbell-Smith was appointed to be the chief judge on October 21, 2013, by President Barack Obama. The appointment was not subject to Senate approval.
Federal Claims, Special master
Campbell-Smith was appointed to the United States Court of Federal Claims on December 8, 2005, as a special master and assumed duty in December 19, 2005. She became chief special master on April 7, 2011. Her term as a special master ended when she was confirmed to United States Court of Federal Claims as a federal judge.
- United States Court of Federal Claims, "Patricia Campbell-Smith Official Biography," accessed July 18, 2014
- White House.gov, "President Obama Nominates Two to Serve on the U.S. Court of Federal Claims," March 19, 2013
- Court of Federal Claims, "Patricia Campbell-Smith," accessed September 23, 2013
- The Hill, "Obama names chief judge to top tax court," October 21, 2013
- LegalNewsline.com, "Obama picks new chief judge for federal claims court," October 23, 2013
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Senate Judiciary Committee, "113th Congress Nomination Materials"
|Former Article I judges||
Alex Kozinski • Emily C. Hewitt • Lawrence M. Baskir • Christine Odell Cook Miller • George W. Miller • Bohdan A. Futey • Robert H. Hodges, Jr. • Lawrence S. Margolis • Loren A. Smith • Robert J. Yock • Thomas J. Lydon • Reginald W. Gibson • John L. Napier • John-L-Napier.jpg •
|Former Chief judges|
|Vacancy Count by Congress|
|Vacancy Count by Year||Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2009 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2010 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2011 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2012|