Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit|
|Appointed by:||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by:||Maryanne Barry|
|Past post:||District of New Jersey, Magistrate Judge|
|Undergraduate:||Rutgers College, 1983|
|Law School:||University of Pennsylvania Law, 1986|
Patty Shwartz is a federal judge for the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. She joined the court in 2013 after being nominated by Barack Obama. At the time of nomination, she was a federal magistrate judge for the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey.
- 2009-2010: Adjunct Professor, Fordham University School of Law
- 1989-2003: United States Attorney's Office for the District of New Jersey
- 2002-2003: Chief, Criminal Division
- 2001-2002: Executive Assistant U.S. Attorney
- 1999-2001: Chief, Criminal Division
- 1995-1999: Deputy Chief, Criminal Division
- 1989-2003: Assistant United States Attorney
- 1987-1989: Law Clerk, Hon. Harold Ackerman, District of New Jersey
- 1986-1987: Associate, Pepper, Hamilton & Scheetz
Thrid Circuit Court of Appeals
|Progress:||Confirmed 562 days after nomination.|
|Nominated:||October 5, 2011|
|ABA Rating:||Unanimously Well Qualified|
|Hearing:||February 15, 2012|
|Renom. QFRs:||Renom. QFRs|
|Reported:||February 14, 2013 (March 8, 2012)|
|Confirmed:||April 19, 2013|
On October 5, 2011, President Obama nominated Patty Shwartz to a post on the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, filling the spot vacated by Maryanne Barry upon her retirement. Obama commented on the nomination:
|“||Judge Shwartz has a long and impressive record of service and a history of handing down fair and judicious decisions. She will be a thoughtful and distinguished addition to the 3rd circuit and I am extremely pleased to put her forward.||”|
Shwartz was rated Unanimously Well Qualified by the American Bar Association. She had a hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee on February 15, 2012, and you can find her Committee Questionnaire available here, her Questions for the Record available here and her Renomination Questions for the Record available here.
On April 9, 2013, the United States Senate confirmed Patty Shwartz to an Article III post for the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit with vote of 64-34.
District of New Jersey
Shwartz was a federal magistrate judge for the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey from 2003 until her confirmation to the Third Circuit Court of Appeals.
Awards and associations
- 2002: Sustained Superior Performance Award
- 1997: Special Act Award from the Department of Justice
- 1997: Director's Award for Superior Performance as an Assistant U.S. Attorney
- 1991, 1993, 1994 & 1998: Special Achievement Awards from the Department of Justice
- 2003-Present: United States Attorney's Office for the District of New jersey Alumni Association
- 1994-Present: River Renaissance Condominium Association
- 1989-Present: Rutgers Alumni Association
- 1986-Present: University of Pennsylvania Law School Alumni Society
- New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Hon. Patty Shwartz profile
- Fordham University School of Law, "Judge Hon. Patty Shwartz: Adjunct Professor of Law"
- WhiteHouse.gov, "Presidential Nomination Sent to the Senate," October 5, 2011
- Patty Shwartz biography from the Federal Judicial Center
- Senate Judiciary Committee, "Questions for Judicial Nominees," accessed November 15, 2013
- WhiteHouse.gov, "President Obama Nominates Judge Patty Shwartz for the United States Court of Appeals," October 5, 2011
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Senate Judiciary Committee, "113th Congress Nomination Materials"
|Federal judicial offices|
|Third Circuit Court of Appeals
Chief Judge: Jerome Simandle • Freda Wolfson • Stanley Chesler • Faith Hochberg • Jose Linares • Peter Sheridan • Susan Wigenton • Renee Bumb • Noel Hillman • Robert Kugler • Madeline Arleo • Claire Cecchi • Esther Salas • Michael Shipp • Kevin McNulty
|Magistrate judges||Tonianne Bongiovanni • Mark Falk • Ann Donio • Joel Schneider • Karen Williams • Douglas Arpert • Lois Goodman • Joseph A. Dickson • Michael A. Hammer • Cathy L. Waldor • Steven C. Mannion • James B. Clark, III •|
|Former Article III judges||
Garrett Brown • Joel Pisano • Harold Ackerman • Dennis Cavanaugh • Joseph Greenaway • Stanley Brotman • David Brearley • Robert Morris • William Sanford Pennington • William Rossell • Mahlon Dickerson • Philemon Dickerson • Richard Stockton Field • John Thompson Nixon • Andrew Kirkpatrick • Leonard Garth • Robert Cowen • Maryanne Barry • Lee Sarokin • Edward Green • Joseph Cross • William Mershon Lanning • John Rellstab • Joseph Lamb Bodine • John Warren Davis (Third Circuit) • Thomas Griffith Haight • Charles Francis Lynch • William Nelson Runyon • William Clark • Guy Laverne Fake • James William McCarthy • John Boyd Avis • Phillip Forman • Anthony Augelli • George Barlow • William Bassler • John Bissell • Vincent Biunno • Mitchell Cohen • James Coolahan • John Gerry • Richard Hartshorne • John Kitchen • Frederick Lacey • Arthur Lane • Alfred Lechner • John Lifland • Thomas Madden • Thomas Meaney • Henry Meanor • Alfred Modarelli • Mendon Morrill • Stephen Orlofsky • Nicholas Politan • Robert Shaw (New Jersey) • William Francis Smith • Herbert Stern • Thomas Walker (New Jersey) • Lawrence Whipple • Alfred Wolin • Reynier Wortendyke • Clarkson Sherman Fisher •
|Former Chief judges||
Garrett Brown • Anne Thompson • Guy Laverne Fake • Phillip Forman • Anthony Augelli • George Barlow • John Bissell • Mitchell Cohen • James Coolahan • John Gerry • Thomas Madden • William Francis Smith • Lawrence Whipple • Clarkson Sherman Fisher •
|Vacancy Count by Congress|
|Vacancy Count by Year||Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2009 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2010 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2011 • Federal Vacancy Warning System: 2012|