Paul J. Kennedy
|Paul J. Kennedy|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|New Mexico Supreme Court|
|Appointed by:||Gary E. Johnson|
|Succeeded by:||Barbara J. Vigil|
|Home State:||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania|
|Undergraduate:||St. Joseph's University, B.A.|
|Law School:||Georgetown University, J.D.|
|Military service:||U.S. Marine Corps, 1971-1973|
|Candidate for:||New Mexico Supreme Court|
|Election information 2012:|
Paul J. Kennedy is a former justice of the New Mexico Supreme Court. Justice Kennedy was first appointed to the Supreme Court by Governor Gary Johnson on September 13, 2002 to fill a vacancy of a retiring justice. He resigned from his interim term on December 20, 2002. Kennedy also served on the court after the 2012 retirement of Patricio Serna; he ran to retain this position, but was defeated by Barbara J. Vigil who replaced him in December 2012.
Kennedy is a prominent criminal defense lawyer. He has also served as Governor Susana Martinez's chief legal counsel on her transition committee after her 2010 election. Kennedy, in addition, has represented Governor Martinez in redistricting lawsuits over the set boundaries of political districts in Legislature, Congress and a state regulatory agency.
Awards and Associations
- Recipient-Fulbright Scholarship, 1971
- State Bar of New Mexico
- American Bar Association
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- The Association of Trial Lawyers of America
This seat was formerly held by Patricio Serna; after Serna's retirement in August, Kennedy was appointed to fill the seat until the general election. He was running to retain the seat, and was defeated by Barbara J. Vigil in the general election.
- See also: New Mexico judicial elections, 2012
- News: Two lawyers recommended for New Mexico Supreme Court, August 14, 2012
- ↑ New Mexico Supreme Court: Justice since statehood
- ↑ Las Cruces Sun, "NM Supreme Court Our Choice: Barbara Vigil," October 11, 2012
- ↑ LawyerDB.org-Paul J. Kennedy
- ↑ Santa Fe-New Mexican.com-Commission recommends 2 for NM Supreme Court-August 7, 2012
- ↑ New Mexico Secretary of State - 2012 Official General Election Results
- ↑ New Mexico Secretary of State, 2012 General Election Candidates
|Former||Patricio Serna • Paul J. Kennedy •|