Philip E. Smith
|Phillip E. Smith|
|Current Court Information:|
|Twentieth Circuit Court, Tennessee|
|Appointed by:||Gov. Phil Bredesen|
|Preceded by:||Muriel Robinson|
|Past post:||Attorney, Robinson and Oglesby|
|Undergraduate:||Tennessee State University, 1984|
|Law School:||University of Tennessee College of Law, 1988|
|Candidate for:||Twentieth Circuit Court|
|Election information 2014:|
Philip E. Smith is a circuit court judge for the Twentieth Circuit Court Division IV, which presides over Davidson County in Tennessee. He was appointed to the court by former Governor Phil Bredesen on March 18, 2009 to replace Judge Muriel Robinson. Smith was then elected to the court in 2010, and his current term ends in 2014. Smith is running for re-election to the Twentieth Circuit Court in 2014.
- See also: Tennessee judicial elections, 2014
| Smith is running for re-election to the Twentieth Circuit Court.
Primary: He ran unopposed in the Democratic primary on May 6, 2014.
General: He will be unopposed in the general election on August 7, 2014.
- See also: Tennessee judicial elections, 2010
Smith began his career in October 1988 as an assistant district attorney for the 20th Judicial District, working in the Child Support Enforcement Division. He then joined the Norman Law Offices in September 1990. In March 2001, Smith teamed up with Phillip Robinson and Teresa Webb Oglesby to form Robinson and Oglesby. Also, from 1990 to 1994, he served as a special judge for the Davidson County 2nd Circuit Court, 5th Circuit Court, Probate Court, and as a special referee for the Davidson County Juvenile Court. He was appointed to the Twentieth Circuit Court in 2009.
Awards and associations
- 2009: Certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy as a Family Law Trial Advocate
- 2008: Listed in "Mid-South Super Lawyers"
- 2008: Inducted as a 'Fellow' in the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- 2007; 2008: Listed in "Best Lawyers in America"
- Fellow, Nashville Bar Foundation
- Master of the Bench, Harry S. Phillips Chapter of the American Inn of Courts in 2011
- Member, Tennessee Bar Association
- Member, Tennessee Trial Judges Association
- Member, Tennessee Judicial Conference 
- Tennessee Circuit Court
- Judicial selection in Tennessee
- Davidson County, Tennessee
- Tennessee judiciary members Carol Solomon and Barbara Haynes stepping down from the bench
- TN Courts.gov, "Trial Court Judges," accessed June 7, 2014
- TN Courts.gov, "Tennessee Judicial District Map," accessed June 7, 2014
- Trial Courts: Metropolitan Nashville and Davidson County, "Judge Phillip Smith," accessed June 7, 2014
- Per information submitted to Judgepedia on August 13, 2011
- The Tennessean.com, "List of candidates in May primary races," February 21, 2014
- Nashville County, Sample Ballots - May 4th Primary Election
- TN Courts.gov, "Judge Philip E. Smith," accessed June 7, 2014