Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Arrowhead (Peoria) Justice Court, Arizona|
|Title:||Former Justice of the Peace|
|Position:||Arrowhead Justice Court|
Restraining order arrest
In July 2011, Woolbright was arrested for violating an order of protection requested by his estranged wife. After knocking on her door, it he was found in violation of a provision stating he is not allowed on or near the property.
Following the arrest, the Commission on Judicial Conduct filed formal charges against Wooldbright.
In May 2012, the Arizona Commission on Judicial Conduct recommended that Woolbright be removed from office and never again serve as a judge. The Arizona Supreme Court will ultimately decide on a suitable consequence.
The attorney for Judge Woolbright filed an appeal on the ruling, asking the commission to reconsider its recommendation.
On May 31, 2012, the Commission on Judicial Conduct denied the appeal of Woolbright's attorney, stating that any disputed facts were outweighed by the "aggravating factors" in the case. Next, the Arizona Supreme Court will review the commission's recommendation and hand down their judgment of Woolbright.
Removal from office
Woolbright won the Republican primary, receiving 49.2% of the vote. He was re-elected after running unopposed.
- Main article: Arizona judicial elections, 2010
- AZcentral.com, Opinion: "Public ill-served by Judge Phillip Woolbright," September 26, 20111
- AZcentral.com, "Justice Woolbright's suspension called too lenient," December 30, 2011
- AZCentral.com, "Arrowhead JP ethics case now before AZ Supreme Court," June 1, 2012
- Azcentral.com, "Justice of Peace accused of violating restraining order," July 22, 2011
- The Phoenix Family Law News Blog, "Justice of Peace Disturbs Wife's Peace: Violation of Protective Order," July 27, 2011
- WFSB.com, "Justice of the Peace faces charges, could lose job," September 2, 2011
- AZCentral.com, "Justice of the Peace Phillip Woolbright appeals panel's recommendation to remove him from office," May 22, 2012
- AZcentral.com, "Arrowhead Justice of the Peace Phillip Woolbright removed from office for ethics violations," July 24, 2012
- Maricopa County, Unofficial Primary Election Results