|Current Court Information:|
|Colorado Court of Appeals|
|Appointed by:||Gov. Bill Ritter|
|Past post:||Attorney, private practice|
|Born:||March 3, 1962|
|Undergraduate:||Yale University, 1984|
|Law School:||University of Pennsylvania School of Law, 1987|
Richard L. Gabriel is a judge on the Colorado Court of Appeals, to which he was appointed by Democratic Governor Bill Ritter on April 30, 2008. He was sworn-in two months later, on June 30th. He was retained in 2010 to an eight-year term that ends in December 31, 2018.
Judge Gabriel received his B.A. cum laude in American Studies from Yale University in 1984 and his J.D. from the University of Pennsylvania School of Law in 1987. While at the University of Pennsylvania he was the articles editor for the University of Pennsylvania Law Review from 1986 to 1987.
Immediately following her admission to the Bar, Gabriel became a private practice lawyer. From 1987 to 1989 he worked as a Judge Clerk for the Honorable J. Fredrick Motz. He worked with the law firm Shea & Gould LLC in New York City from 1988 until 1990. In 1990 he joined the firm Holme Roberts & Owen LLP in Denver, CO. He was an Associate of this firm from 1990 to 1994 and then became a Partner. Gabriel also served as City Prosecutor for Lafayette, Colorado for four years where he served as pro bono representation. He was retained in 2010 to an eight-year term that ends in December 31, 2008 Gabriel's current salary is $124,092 which ranks 28th highest in the U.S. for appellate level courts.
Awards and associations
- Champion for Children, Rocky Mountain Children's Law Center, 1997
- Forty Under 40, Denver Business Journal, 2002
- Richard Marden Davis Award, Denver Bar Foundation, 2002
- Finalist, Pro Bono Lawyer of the Year, Denver Business Journal, 2003
- Best of Class, American Intellectual Property Lawyers, 2006-2007
- W. Dean Salter Award for Lifetime Achievement to Holme Roberts & Owen, 2006
- Colorado Super Lawyer, 2007-2008
- Chambers’ Leading Lawyers for Business, 2007-2008
- Intellectual Property Lawyer of the Year, Law Week Colorado, 2007
- Lawyer of the Year, Lawyers USA, 2007
- Member, State Bar Association of New York, 1987
- Member, State Bar Association of Colorado, 1990
- Member, Denver Bar Association
- CBA Board of Governors, 2010
- Member, CBA/DBA Professionalism Coordinating Council, 2009
- Member, CBA Judicial Liaison Section, 2008
- Colorado Judicial Institute, Director, 1999-present; Vice Chair, 2012-2002; Chair, 2004-2006
- Rocky Mountain Children’s Law Center, Director, 1999-2005; Advisory Board, 2005-2008
- Colorado Wind Ensemble, Trumpeter, 1990-present; Director, 1993-2008; President, 1994-2008
- Volunteers of America, Meals on Wheels volunteer and Thanksgiving Food Drive Chair, 1990-2008
- Who Care Board of Governors, 2000-2005
- Colorado Lawyer, Civil Litigator column editor, 1996-2005
- Denver Teen Court Partnership Director, 1994-2000
- ACLU Legal Panel, 1992-97
| Colorado Court of Appeals |
2010 General election results
- Click here for 2010 General Election Results from the Denver Post.
- Main article: Colorado judicial elections, 2010
Gabriel was recommended for retention by the Colorado Office of Judicial Performance Evaluation.
- Read Gabriel's Judicial Performance Review here.
- Judge Gabriel's Judicial Performance Review
- Judge Gabriel's Biography
- Colorado Court of Appeals website