Richard John Sankovitz
|Richard John Sankovitz|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Milwaukee County Circuit Court, Wisconsin|
|Past position:||Shareholder, Whyte Hirschboeck Dudek S.C.|
|Undergraduate:||Marquette University, 1980|
|Law School:||Harvard Law School, 1983|
Richard John Sankovitz is a judge for Branch 29 of the Milwaukee County Circuit Court in Wisconsin. He was appointed in 1996 and was re-elected in 1997, 2003 and 2009. He currently serves in the felony division. Previously he served in the civil division. He has presided over each of the court's specialty calendars, domestic violence, drugs, guns and homicide/sexual assault. He is running for re-election in 2015.
See also: Wisconsin judicial elections, 2015
Sankovitz is unopposed for re-election to the Milwaukee County Circuit Court, Branch 29 in 2015. Wisconsin's general judicial election will be held on April 7, 2015. The filing deadline for candidates was January 6, 2015.
Sankovitz received a B.A. from Marquette University in 1980 and a J.D. from Harvard Law School in 1983.
- 1996-2015: Judge, Milwaukee County Circuit Court
- 1986-1996: Shareholder, Whyte Hirschboeck Dudek S.C., Milwaukee
- 1984-1986: Associate, Jenner & Block, Chicago
- 1983-1984: Law clerk, Hon. Terence Evans, U.S. District Court (E.D. Wis.)
Bid for the federal judiciary
In 2009 Sankovitz applied to fill a vacancy on the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, along with 10 others. The applications were reviewed by the Wisconsin Federal Judicial Nominating Commission, which made recommendations to U.S. Sens. Herb Kohl and Russ Feingold. The Senators then recommended candidates for nomination to President Obama.
Awards and associations
- 2008: Leaders in the Law, Wisconsin Law Journal
- 2006: Common Good Gatekeeper Award
- 2003: Award for Outstanding Pro Bono Leadership, MYLA/LAW Volunteer Lawyers Project
- 2000: Outstanding Pro Bono Services Award, Association for Women Lawyers
- 1992: Award for Outstanding Pro Bono Services, MYLA/LAW Volunteer Lawyers Project
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Chair, State Bar of Wisconsin Access to Justice Study Committee
- Chair, Criminal Benchbook Committee
- Chair, Milwaukee County Circuit Court Local Rules Revision Project
- Former chair, Wisconsin Supreme Court Planning & Policy Advisory Committee, Planning Subcommitee
- Former faculty member, Wisconsin Judicial College
- Presiding judge, Felony Division (2008-present)
- Presiding judge, Misdemeanor Division (1998-2000)
- Contributing author, Contract Law in Wisconsin (State Bar of Wisconsin CLE Books)
- Wisconsin Court System, "Circuit court judges," accessed January 8, 2015
- Milwaukee Bar Association, "Judges Directory"
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "2015 Spring Election," accessed January 8, 2015
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Ballot Access Checklist For 2015 Judicial Candidates," accessed December 18, 2015
- Associated Press "Judges, lawyers seek federal appeals court job," September 29, 2009 (dead link)
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel "Adelman, Sankovitz among 6 recommended for federal job," November 16, 2009
- Wisconsin Lawyer, "Profiles in Pro Bono," July, 2005
- [https://web.archive.org/web/2/http://www.wisbar.org/am/template.cfm?section=cle_books1&template=/ecommerce/productdisplay.cfm&productid=1405 State Bar of Wisconsin CLE Books, "Contract Law in Wisconsin (3d ed. 2007)"